Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a couple of my friends had a talk about this. A trombone player came up to us and in his proud tone told us that woodwinds are unimportant and used drum choirs as an example. We kinda looked at each other (me and 2 sax players) and had a talk about gigging. I'm not sure why, but we all kind of got the impression that there's not as many brass instruments called for gigs, with the exception of trumpets, as there are say woodwinds, guitars and such. My friend said it's because their solos aren't as pleasing to the ear. I was wondering is anyone else found any this to be true?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Could be. One exception: brass quintets are much more popular than woodwind quintets OR sax quartets.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,018 Posts
It depends entirely on what type of music you're talking about. For rock, funk, r&b, more saxes get gigs than than trumpets and bones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For classical work, saxophonists get less gigs than anyone. Notice how in orchestras, there normally is not a saxophone player. Notice how in woodwind quartets, there is normally not a saxophone player.
In classical work in general, I would say that woodwinds and brass instruments generally recieve the same amount of performances.

However in jazz, I would say the sax rules the roost over everything. The saxophone is seen mainly by people who don't play saxophone as the jazz instrument.
I mean, while trumpets and trombones are very important to most jazz, the saxophone is extremely important in all jazz.

But anyway, I don't think asking here will get you the leas biased answer. I mean, this is a sax forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,203 Posts
He's a TROMBONE player. How smart could he be? :twisted:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be a little biased myself. I only like trumpet and french horn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts