Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played alto for a long time and recently became interested in getting a soprano. I've tried out a Yamaha YSS 475, Borgani, Jupiter, Keilworth student model, and Antigua 590LC. No matter what the intonation is like in the upper and lower range, they all seem to have a problem with the intervals from mid C to C# to D. From C to C# is generally too small and from C# to D is too big. Is this just something everyone deals with, or... ?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
It's all about the physics man, Just learn to deal with it like the rest of us have, and you can have a long and happy relationship with any decent soprano on the market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,296 Posts
That seems to be a problem on any woodwind and is just apmlified on smaller horns such as a soprano. Mouthpiece and reed adjustments can help greatly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
You can use a few alternate fingerings to smooth out intonation and tone quality differences in that area of the horn. I often open side-Bb when playing C#2 to get the pitch up on long notes. There is a trade off in pitch and tone quality because opening the side key causes C# to be even more "******" than it normally is.

Playing C#2 by fingering C#1 with the octave key better matches the tone of D2 but can be sharp in pitch.

Finally, I once saw a vintage soprano that had been modified so that the LH#1 key (B-key) would be partially closed when fingering C. This allowed the B key to be more open when playing C#. I suppose it could help intonation but would make the action feel a lot more clunky.

Reactions: raymuzi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. It sounds like this is common, which is what I expected, but I wanted to be sure. I can be fine with it. Thanks also for the suggestions.

Jeff

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Jorns Bergenson said:
...because opening the side key causes C# to be even more "******" than it normally is.
Does that mean I can't play Soul Music with that fingering?! :oops:

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
gary said:
Jorns Bergenson said:
...because opening the side key causes C# to be even more "******" than it normally is.
Does that mean I can't play Soul Music with that fingering?! :oops:
You know what I mean, silly :) Maybe "quackie" is a better word, no?

·
Musician and Composer
513 Posts
so if you'r covering oboe parts on your soprano, be sure and use the "quacky" fingering! :eek:ccasion:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Learn to play your horn. this might involve a mouthpiece change along with a different embouchure and many hours of practice.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Learn to play your horn. this might involve a mouthpiece change along with a different embouchure and many hours of practice.
He's had 17 years to practice, so hopefully has his intonation under control by now.

What motivated you to respond to such an old thread?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,688 Posts
“ recommended for you “ just picks randomly any thread from the old vaults , the user should be reading the thread ( and the dates) before responding, especially when addressing one particular user who may no longer be here (or even anywhere!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
" recommended for you " just picks randomly any thread from the old vaults , the user should be reading the thread ( and the dates) before responding, especially when addressing one particular user who may no longer be here (or even anywhere!)
It's hard to blame the user, especially as you see that lots of people do it. Really, the "recommended threads" section shouldn't include ancient posts, or the forums software should give a warning when responding to an ancient thread.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It's hard to blame the user, especially as you see that lots of people do it. Really, the "recommended threads" section shouldn't include ancient posts, or the forums software should give a warning when responding to an ancient thread.
Multiple people complained when the new software was introduced. Forum owner VS told us, "We don't care a tuppenny F what you think, you're not our customers, P off, pound sand, we aren't going to change anything for you lot" and that was that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The thread is now going OT but it is the software's fault. Really old threads should have a huge banner saying that the thread is legacy and gently suggesting that the reader look for something more active."Though it must be said that the old thread could be the highest quality available and greatest relevence simply as the forum itself was once of a higher quality in terms of those providing the content??"

The old internet as it was just disappears more out of view every month. I get the feeling that the Fora/Forum scene is really more about herding and corralling potential sales together to sell to advertisers than anything else now. We. ie the content providers have lost control. It would appear to be a commonality with all interest group forums.
I may be wrong but I have a feeling that the reported continuing decline in usage and traffic may be evidence that folk's don't like it too much.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Clivey, WE ARE NOT THE CUSTOMERS.

The outfit that owns this forum and its software does not give one rat's you know what about our opinions or preferences. If their marketeering algorithms show that including the "Recommended for You - Threads So Old They Could Shave" at the top garners 0.000001% more hits on the ads, it'll be included.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Clivey, WE ARE NOT THE CUSTOMERS.

The outfit that owns this forum and its software does not give one rat's you know what about our opinions or preferences. If their marketeering algorithms show that including the "Recommended for You - Threads So Old They Could Shave" at the top garners 0.000001% more hits on the ads, it'll be included.
I am actually laughing out loud at this. Not at your response, but at the fact that the particular "pop up ad" on my screen while I was reading this was for a certain world leader in the supply of men's grooming and shaving gear . Tee hee

·
Registered
Soprano: 1983 Keilwerth Toneking Schenklaars stencil
909 Posts
Ads? Oh yeah, I have all my ad blockers on. If I saw ads, I wouldn’t come here any more.

@milandro: You often suggest to people who ask familiar questions if they have searched the archives. Now, they just might.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,688 Posts
Youall could just, you know, read the dates.
Every single post seems to have one.

Yes, and it is not too difficult to see the date if you want to see it.

The “ recommended for you” is set as a “ to go” page as a standard but you can easily bypass that by setting as standard (by bookmarking) for example “ New” post.

This doesn’t mean that you may never use the archives, on the contrary.

Searching the archives and using them (which is the only purpose of keeping them) is good, they contain a wealth of wisdom and information which makes this place unique in its own kind, but you should be aware of what you do when you do it.

So addressing a general thing discussed many years ago, is not a problem, it will be brought up in the new posts and people will take it from there, but answering someone who posted 20 years ago may result in a dead end becuse many members are not around, some, unfortunately, have even passed away!

“ Recommended for you “ is particularly tricky for new members, they have no search history and it is very much randomized.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts