Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this tune and here is a short take, playing around with the melody and improvise around the harmony just having fun.

Apart from the original with modern jazz quartet have a listen to the Swedish tenorman Roland Keijser’s version from the record Back home blues, a fantastic record if you can find it...and also Grant Greens version with Joe Henderson is fantastic!

https://youtu.be/vHfa8Jtvr68

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounding good as always Roger, nice song too. :)

Your reed sounded like it was not completely broken in yet, but with a nice texture in the sound.
Thanks man! Actually the reed was by the very end of its lifespan so I threw it away right after the recording. It was starting to shut down during the recording, that may be what you hear?

Skickat från min LM-G710 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you like "Django", check out Ron Carter's rendition on "Blues Farm" (CTI 1973). Absolutely gorgeous.

Nice work. I always thought that the tune would be a wonderful vehicle for saxophone.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Thanks man! Actually the reed was by the very end of its lifespan so I threw it away right after the recording. It was starting to shut down during the recording, that may be what you hear?

Skickat från min LM-G710 via Tapatalk
Something in the response in the low register, but that can indeed also come from an old reed (I always play my reeds way too long!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts