Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason I've become interested in wind synths. Maybe it was the new Brecker album, maybe the thought of silently practicing at home...whatever. So I looked up the two main ones, the EWI4000s and the WX5. Both look promising, but the point would be so I could silently practice my SAXOPHONE at home, so those won't quite do. Then I looked at the Synthophone...promising, but I don't have $3000 laying around.

So here's the question: Could somebody point me in the direction of a way to basically build my own Synthophone? The advent of the Vibratosax (should be available in January according to this thread) makes this seem more reasonably priced, but I suppose an el cheapo student horn would work just as well. I tried searching for Synthophone patents and blueprints but wasn't very lucky in my search. I love DIY stuff, but I'm ignorant when it comes to MIDI/electronic music.

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
I don't want to dampen your spirit for adventure here, but I can't imagine this would be easy to do on your own for less money than buying a currently produced windsynth. It would be great for you develop something new to put out in the marketplace. First you might want to learn about the MIDI specs;

www.midi.org

Then you'll need design the control sensors to be hooked up to the keys, mouthpiece, reed and a way to measure the air velocity. You'll need some type of circuit board to covert these analogue control inputs into digital data for MIDI transmission. Then you'll need to fit all the electronics in a space small enough to be discreetly place inside or outside the sax. That's no small task.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts