Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from a friend. His ''invention" is pictured as well as my adaptation.
The aluminum tube with cane rubber works great for him but is just a bit too wobbly for me, my problem being a right leg amputee. I didn't have enough control. My addition of the bottom part of the sax stand offered much more stability, (for me). I find I like to use my neck strap to add more control, altho' not bearing weight.
I used a part of an aluminum crutch with adaptable lengths. I fine tune the height by adjusting the screw on the bottom section.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not very much pivoting ability. Certainly not as much as the original pipe with cane tip.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should explain the reason for these stands. Both my friend and I have serious shoulder and/or back problems as well as arthritis. I adapted the single pole with cane tip so I could use the tri-leg stand bottom. I play the tenor between my leg and stumpy, while sitting. No weight and I can control movement caused by finger action, (a problem I have with the single pole and cane tip). As I mentioned above, there is very little pivoting. It takes some getting used to. There might be a way to free up the rigidness by creating some swivel mechanism at the base. Some food for thought. In any case, I'm very pleased to get back to tenor!
Playing alto, I use my neck strap with no weight problem. I use a neck strap for clarinet and I have a small pillow to rest my right wrist on.
Now, if someone could make a flute that didn't require the right arm to be raised, I'd be real happy.:)
:treble::bass:

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
I should explain the reason for these stands. Both my friend and I have serious shoulder and/or back problems as well as arthritis. I adapted the single pole with cane tip so I could use the tri-leg stand bottom. I play the tenor between my leg and stumpy, while sitting. No weight and I can control movement caused by finger action, (a problem I have with the single pole and cane tip). As I mentioned above, there is very little pivoting. It takes some getting used to. There might be a way to free up the rigidness by creating some swivel mechanism at the base. Some food for thought. In any case, I'm very pleased to get back to tenor!
Playing alto, I use my neck strap with no weight problem. I use a neck strap for clarinet and I have a small pillow to rest my right wrist on.
Now, if someone could make a flute that didn't require the right arm to be raised, I'd be real happy.:)
:treble::bass:
I have lower back problems and both my knees are shot. So I have been looking at similar ideas to make a more or less DIY playing stand for my tenor too. I looked at the ones on sale that pivot and clamp onto the bell but they cost a bloody mint for what they in essence are. Up to now I have either played with my Sax Holder strap sitting down on a high stool with the sax on a lower stool resting on a pillow to protect the bell while the neck is right at mouth level. A regular chair is annoying because the back impedes my freedom. Frankly however sitting has never appealed to me when it requires holding the sax on the side because I feel freer when I play it in front of me, sometime right up against my waist and crotch and other times with the bell against my right knee.

So in order to play like that I need a support that holds the sax in front but which doesn't have big tripod legs that get in the way of standing close to it. Ideally it would tilt as well, and in fact there are some walking canes out now that have a base with four rubber feet that hold firmly to the ground wile the pole of the can actually swivels at the base. I have yet to see one anywhere but online so don't know how they would work with a tenor, and more importantly I don't know how I would attach the pole to the sax to hole it up and steady. I thought of having my tech solder two clamp like pieces onto the front of the bell that the pole would be screwed to, but that would damage the bell and might not be at the right angle anyway. On the side of the bell there is no place to attach to but maybe on the bow joint something might work.

So I llooked around at other ideas and found that tuba stands have a tripod base and a soft U-shaped cushioned platform to hold the bell of the tuba firmly. With a nedk strap on to steady it all the weight would be on the stand and the tenor would be free to tilt as needed in playing. I'm seriously considering this one as the price is not high at all.

These are three tuba stands on Amazon here in Spain. the top one goes for 66 euros, the second for 63 euros, and the bottom one for only 36 euros. I'd be leaning towards that one just simply because the price won't kill me but instead of the indented bell holder it only has what looks like a foam padded shelf which has no indentation. So the sax could slip off. Also I can't measure the height I need at the moment and it may be too short. So I might have to go for one of the others which are made by Hercules, a great brand that I already have for my tenor stand.

View attachment 254136

View attachment 254138

View attachment 254140

Take a look and tell me what you think please.

·
Registered
58 Posts
View attachment 254144 View attachment 254146 View attachment 254148 View attachment 254144 View attachment 254146 View attachment 254148

I made this soprano support a few years ago. It’s based on a clarinet support called a Fred (phred ?) that hooks onto the thumbrest (hook). It is an aluminum pole (I forget what it was originally) cut to 17” with a small bottle cap and a cane tip. The support part is made from coat hanger bent in a way to cradle the body of the sax and hook onto the shield shaped thumb hook attachment base. I usually have duct tape wrapped around it to avoid scratches, thus the tape residue. It sits on my chair between my legs. I hope this provides any inspiration?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It works! Paint it flat black? Oh, and cool painted Bundy II I think? Underrated sax when in good working order.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve gone back to my Neotec harness. Good guess on my tenor, but it’s a Bundy Original from the 60s. Real good horn! The finish: glass beaded lacquer stripped, clear lacquer spray to protect the end result. This was done four years ago. The finish has not changed, other than some rubber stains from my sax stand.
Re. this type of finish: I’ve got another, slightly older Bundy tenor which I had stripped. It has a brighter, almost gold finish. I’m trying to decide which one to sell.:treble::bass:

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
According to some of the buyer comments they use it for playing while others just like having the sax sitting up that high so they don't have to bend down to retrieve it. The person who plays his tenor on the stand says he has to tilt it back towards him on two legs though. I don't like the idea of that as much because there is no stram around the bell to keep the sax on the stand and it could fall off as I see it. So you would have to make a strap from one side of the yoke to the other to keep the bell firmly seated in it. Other than that, the price is right, and frankly I don't understand why actual tilting playing stands for bari and tenor cost so damn much more than this. I guess it's just the law of supply and demand with few tenor players wanting to play their horns other than around their neck on a strap. It's a shame since we all get old.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I’ve gone back to my Neotec harness. Good guess on my tenor, but it’s a Bundy Original from the 60s. Real good horn! The finish: glass beaded lacquer stripped, clear lacquer spray to protect the end result. This was done four years ago. The finish has not changed, other than some rubber stains from my sax stand.
Re. this type of finish: I’ve got another, slightly older Bundy tenor which I had stripped. It has a brighter, almost gold finish. I’m trying to decide which one to sell.:treble::bass:
I have a Conn Shooting Star alto like that, kind of cool looking :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts