Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here making their own sax reeds? I make clarinet reeds myself. I would love to make some of the bigger reeds as well (saxes and bass-cl etc) but I would need to invest in the bigger profiler if making more than just a few every now and then.

So I am just curious, anyone smiling all the way to stage with their own sax reeds?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Long story short (will tell more later) :

I make them from scratch. Whole tubes, thst is. I also have a supply of ready made blanks that only needs profiling. In total, I save time.

My reeds are so much better and many more of them are good. And very importantly, they last very much longer, often several months, as opposed to several days. I make alot more than I need, and sell reeds to other clarinet pros as well as happy amateurs and clarinet friends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you make from premade blanks, you only need a profiler and a reed clipper. As well as some sandpaper for polishing.

Some more tools are recommended if you make from whole tubes, but all of it can be done with just a knife, a glass plate and sandpaper. That's how I learned it initially.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts