Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here making their own sax reeds? I make clarinet reeds myself. I would love to make some of the bigger reeds as well (saxes and bass-cl etc) but I would need to invest in the bigger profiler if making more than just a few every now and then.

So I am just curious, anyone smiling all the way to stage with their own sax reeds?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,187 Posts
Welcome to the SOTW scrum. That sounds like a whole lot of work, amigo.

I am *not* making my own. How long have you been making your own CL reeds?

Which blanks are you using? Wait ... are you even using precut blanks?
Inquiring minds want to know!

dat
sax
man

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long story short (will tell more later) :

I make them from scratch. Whole tubes, thst is. I also have a supply of ready made blanks that only needs profiling. In total, I save time.

My reeds are so much better and many more of them are good. And very importantly, they last very much longer, often several months, as opposed to several days. I make alot more than I need, and sell reeds to other clarinet pros as well as happy amateurs and clarinet friends.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
I, for one, would love to hear how to do this. How tool intensive is this process?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you make from premade blanks, you only need a profiler and a reed clipper. As well as some sandpaper for polishing.

Some more tools are recommended if you make from whole tubes, but all of it can be done with just a knife, a glass plate and sandpaper. That's how I learned it initially.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
Excellent.

Reed clippers I have. Where does one find a profiler? Blanks? Raw material (tubes)?

Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was sitting here thinking I could grab some blanks and use a Reed Wizard (which I scored from Reverb.com for $100) to turn them into playable reeds.. doesn't sound like it. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,789 Posts
This subject has come up before, there is even a poll

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?119044-Making-Your-Own-Sax-Reeds-The-Savior
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?22482-Making-your-own-reeds
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?118324-Reed-making
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?226343-Making-one-s-own-reeds

This thing of making your clarinet reeds is way more popular in Germany where there are also workshops and things like that.

You tube has also stuff

You can buy reed blanks there are lots of sources

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The reed plant is an invasive pest in some areas of California, so some of us might have practice material handy. The only time I've seen it growing wild, I don't the canes were big enough to make a clarinet reed, but maybe there's big stuff if you know where to look.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It's growing next door to me in SoCal.
Even though it's 20 feet tall the tubes aren't that wide (1 1/2 -2 ")

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I modify my own sax and clarinet reeds, and make my own bagpipe chanter and drone reeds from scratch. But I haven't tried making my own sax reeds, yet.

·
38,789 Posts

·
38,789 Posts
then what keeps you from harvesting them, keep them in storage fro 3 years, select, cut, quarter and then , learning to make reeds with machines of variable price but all rather expensive...

Unless you do this for others making reeds from reeds harvested in the wild is highly unpractical and very expensive.

But yes, you may, then, blame yourself for the reed’s inconsistencies instead of blaming any given company.

·
38,789 Posts
ah and don’t forget to spend even more to test the “ strenght” (only at the tip!)

Well if you don’t want to spend too much get yourself one of these ( they are still around!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts