Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15 years ago, I started a thread on SOTW asking folks to post their classical saxophone recordings. It's still going!

I had some time on my hands this afternoon, so I decided to track all four parts of a Christmas saxophone quartet. It was done fairly expeditiously, and usually only with two complete takes and a couple of punches. I wasn't going for a classical sound; I used my all round/show/big band mouthpieces for this. (Vandoren S25 on soprano, D'Addario D6 on alto, D'Addario D7 on tenor, Yanagisawa metal 9 on bari. Legere Signatures on all horns.)

I kept this one simple - created a tempo map in Finale, recorded in Reaper (Presonus iOne interface, Apex 420 mic) and uploaded it to Soundcloud.

So - let's hear what everyone can do with this idea.

The idea is to play ALL parts yourself!

https://soundcloud.com/user-51358469%2Fchristmas-medley-sax-quartet

·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, adapted from a sax quartet chart by Lloyd Conley.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The idea is to play ALL parts yourself!
I can't take up this challenge because I don't have a baritone sax. However, I wanted to say that I enjoyed your rendition of "Christmas Medley," a piece with a nice, medieval feel. We've played that one many times. We've often done it as a quintet too, with soprano and alto doubling the lead (this can make intonation tricky in spots, so sometimes the octaves need to be divided).

·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't take up this challenge because I don't have a baritone sax. However, I wanted to say that I enjoyed your rendition of "Christmas Medley," a piece with a nice, medieval feel. We've played that one many times. We've often done it as a quintet too, with soprano and alto doubling the lead (this can make intonation tricky in spots, so sometimes the octaves need to be divided).
Thanks, LostConn! Can you do a quartet or trio of some sort? There's some nice SAT Bach things.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Merlin, this is super fun to listen! Great phrasing and relaxed swinging solos - I would love to sit finger snipping in the first row of your concert if only you could clone yourself!
Your arrangement, too?
C'mon folks! There's got to be some people working on this!
I hope I have some spare time the next week to get something together ....

·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Merlin, this is super fun to listen! Great phrasing and relaxed swinging solos - I would love to sit finger snipping in the first row of your concert if only you could clone yourself!
Your arrangement, too?

I hope I have some spare time the next week to get something together ....
Yep, I did a quick arrangement of the head for the in and out choruses. Found a doubled note when I tracked it. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Not a sax quartett - but since I played all instruments myself, I hope I qualify for this thread.

This is a version of the famous "Jesus bleibet meine Freude" (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring) I tried to do on my woodwinds. I arranged the string orchestra part for flutes (C, alto and bass) + bassoon and the choral for saxes (s, a, t) and bassclarinet.
The flute part wasn't easy, because it never stops.
The ritardando at the end went out a bit over the top, couldn't change it without starting all over again at the end.
Mixing was done with the laptop only, so ....

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/jesus-bleibet-meine-freude

·
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a sax quartett - but since I played all instruments myself, I hope I qualify for this thread.

This is a version of the famous "Jesus bleibet meine Freude" (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring) I tried to do on my woodwinds. I arranged the string orchestra part for flutes (C, alto and bass) + bassoon and the choral for saxes (s, a, t) and bassclarinet.
The flute part wasn't easy, because it never stops.
The ritardando at the end went out a bit over the top, couldn't change it without starting all over again at the end.
Mixing was done with the laptop only, so ....

https://soundcloud.com/taragot/jesus-bleibet-meine-freude
Thanks! That sounds pretty good, and is way more ambitious!

It might sound even better with a touch of reverb.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It might sound even better with a touch of reverb.
Thanks for listening Merlin! I messed arround a little bit with pan and a bit reverb on flute and bassoon. It soon gets muddy with all these instruments. There's a lot to learn in this buisness!

Here's the result
https://soundcloud.com/stations/track/taragot/jesus-bleibet-meine-freude-2

Very nice song, Dave (or better: Two nice songs)!

Which app do you use for these multiple picture films?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Here's an original composition of mine featuring my good friend Jeff Reid on sax (I'm on all the other instruments so I figured it works for this thread)

Dave, enjoyed ... ! He is like Grover ... looks and plays touchy. You... :), like Dave Grusin on keys.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Dear Rhysonsax,
your link is leading to a different video, so you might want to correct it.

I would be happy to hear any tips that people have about panning the instruments and effects to add to the dry recordings.
This is my question, too (see above). I try to pan the instruments like they could be seated in reality but avoid extremes (100% left or right).
I use audacity for mixing and effects and don't like the reverbs. What do you guys use as DAW and as reverb?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,226 Posts
This is my question, too (see above). I try to pan the instruments like they could be seated in reality but avoid extremes (100% left or right).
I use audacity for mixing and effects and don't like the reverbs. What do you guys use as DAW and as reverb?
I use Logic Pro X for my DAW, and the Enverb plugin is pretty straightforward (I admit I don't know much about audio editing) so that's what I use for reverb.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts