Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,430 Posts
All the past alternative ideas have failed, but that doesn’t mean that they will always fail.
Many great ideas out there. Being affordable is one aspect of the function. The average saxophone pad being around two dollars is still quite a deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
62 Posts
Today I changed almost half of the pads on my Jupiter tenor sax with neoprene pads. I took all the measures yesterday and today I cut the pads on a laser cnc and fitted them at home. Even the two octave pads! The original ones were a leaking especially in the upper stack. I play tested the horn and it plays just great!!! No more squeaks and the bottom register is fat and clear.

·
40,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks good.

This is the foundation of the invention by totptones pads inventor Rienk Smeding

Whom, I just found out, sadly passed away last November.

·
40,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes, I just dedicated him an “ In memoriam” thread

Reactions: PigSquealer

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,430 Posts
@botahoratiu how did you install these? I see what looks like cardboard backers ? So what did you use to hold the pad into the cup? What is the actual grade or source of the neoprene used. I’ve read about installations with this material before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Those are 1 mm polycarbonate discs as backers. And I have some carboard discs cut as well. But most of the pads are glued directly on the key with hot glue, and then sited with heat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like an activity to do when there is nothing else to do. There are so many pads available out there already made. I'm not sure why anyone would make their own pads these days. I equate this to making your own shoes when there are shoes readily available. What is the advantage?
A great and functioning analogy, well done-but I would think this would more appropriately be equated to sewing a button back on to a shirt rather than buying a new shirt. I’ve had some crazy stuff happen at gigs and performances before and I’ve done both new saxophone pads and button sewing backstage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think that might be more than that. Please consider the costs also. A new pad set would cost me more than 200€ here. My neoprene pads costed me close to nothing. Also, there is a 80% decrease in key noise and the leaks are 99% gone. So, why not?

·
40,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Absolutely @botahoratiu , most of us are spoiled with the availability of techs and material .

In a previous thread someone from India in search of a saxophone told me that the closest tech to him was 1000 Km away! Besides, I have heard from at least three techs who make their own in the Netherlands as mentioned above, whatever their reasons are.

Some people simply like making things. I am not one of them but I appreciate people who do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Absolutely @botahoratiu , most of us are spoiled with the availability of techs and material .

In a previous thread someone from India in search of a saxophone told me that the closest tech to him was 1000 Km away! Besides, I have heard from at least three techs who make their own in the Netherlands as mentioned above, whatever their reasons are.

Some people simply like making things. I am not one of them but I appreciate people who do.
I am certainly one of those people. I really appreciate your way of thinking.
@botahoratiu, Any idea about longevity? Do you also get impression marks after a while?
Time will ahow that... but they seem durable

21 - 37 of 37 Posts