Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My soprano isn’t behaving in the lower register, and I think I have a leak, I’ve never been able to justify the cost of buying a leak light, but I came across an article on Stephen Howard’s website http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/leaklight.htm. Using a cheap 170 lumen LED, a 12v power supply from an old external HDD that’s no longer in use and some standard 2.5mm twin and earth I bodged together this:

View attachment 238910

View attachment 238912

Very bright and does the job well, I’ve located a couple of possible leaks.

I think I might replace the connection between the power supply cable and twin and earth cable which is currently connection block and electrical tape with an inline switch, but other than that I’m very happy with my leak light!

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,446 Posts
Maybe that converter already does this, but you want to be careful to downgrade the watts/amperes from the wall!

There are a lot of LED solutions for leak lights available, along the lines of what you've done. I recommend against the knobby-sided ones as they will break quickly, and if your current is wrong they may overheat, melt, and then break even more quickly. But all LED lights require minimal juice, and to get electrocuted via trying to find a leak in your horn would be...rather unfortunate. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts