Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started learning the sax :D and have spoken to a guy at our local music shop who can get me a Dixon. :!: It looks good, but I can't really find anything else about it. Has anyone had experience with a Dixon? :shock:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had a Dixon as a student horn and it was quite ok for the purpose. Don't know if it would be the same as the Dixon in your area but it was solidly built, played well enough in tune and the action was fine for a student horn. I can't remember at the moment who actually makes the horn but I was told at one time and it seems that it was one of the better known, 'reputable' manufacturers.

If the price is right, considering other student horns available, I wouldn't hessitate to suggest that you consider it. As with any sax, you should test play it before buying just to be sure.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,068 Posts
My comments are a little different than ralph's. I have a number of students that play Dixons...Although they are not baris, rather altos and tenors. I do not find them to be a particularly good horn. They are a Tawianese horn that seem to be prone to pearls falling off. Their tuning is OK, but nothing stellar. They just don't seem to hold up to the rigors of student use as well as Yamaha's do...And I write this although I am not a huge Yamaha fan. IMO, I would rate them about a 2.5 out of a possible 5. I have played worse student horns, but I've also played better. The ones I've seen are all Mark VI knock-offs.

I'm not saying don't get it, but like ralph said, play test it before you buy. If you just started learning sax, if you have a teacher, ask her/him to try it before you buy. I just have an inherant distrust for people who work in music stores...or any retail business...since they have a particular product to sell. Get an independant opinion if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you, Ralph and Helen for your honest replies.

What Helen says regarding sales people is totally true. This guy tried to sell me a bottle of trombone oil, saying I would need it for a new sax! My tutor had never heard of anything similar in the 30 years he's been playing the sax.

When trying to test play it, the horn sounded rather squeaky, compared to the old Condor (borrowed from a friend who can't play) I am using for practising. I will, however, get my tutor to play the Dixon as well, although I think the equivalent of $1200 is maybe a bit much for a horn of that calibre.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect Pitch, you're spot on with your observation, regardless of rate of exchange or any other factor. My tutor used a stronger word when I told him about the price of the Dixon.

In spite of Helen's feelings towards Yamaha, I will probably end up buying just that, but it means saving up for a longer period of time. I've been a fan of Yamaha's ever since I can remember - it includes their motorcycles! I prefer to play no other piano than Yamaha if I can help it, and the sax will follow suit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer. My present problem is that I don't even have the $1200 available, that's why I'm looking for something decent that will suit my pocket - a bit of a catch 22!

However, I don't really think I'm into baris - I'll stick to alto and tenor. This just means I have to save harder (longer?) for the models I want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts