Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some recommendations on good dixieland band charts that have parts for both clarinet AND tenor sax (along with the usual trumpet, bone and rhythm section).

I am already aware of the dixieland combo paks arranged by Paul Severson which are pretty decent.

Any others you could recommend?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I'm not a great judge of the relative merits of various Dixieland arrangements, but I have used a book called Dixieland Beat, arranged by Bill Howard. Eleven charts in the book, and the instrumentation is Piano, Clarinet, Trumpet, Tenor Sax, Trombone, Guitar, Bass and Drums. Each instrument is a separate book. The cover price on mine is $2.50, but that is a 1970's price. Publisher is Charles Hansen Music and Books, and it also says Edwin H. Morris and Company under the copyright stamp.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
351 Posts
I'm not a great judge of the relative merits of various Dixieland arrangements, but I have used a book called Dixieland Beat, arranged by Bill Howard. Eleven charts in the book, and the instrumentation is Piano, Clarinet, Trumpet, Tenor Sax, Trombone, Guitar, Bass and Drums. Each instrument is a separate book. The cover price on mine is $2.50, but that is a 1970's price. Publisher is Charles Hansen Music and Books, and it also says Edwin H. Morris and Company under the copyright stamp.
There are actually 2 sets of books called "Dixieland Beat" the one mentioned by Saxhound and another that was arranged by Zepp Meissner. Both have the same instrumentation (with tenor sax) and both are pretty good. I have both sets in our dixieland folder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I am looking for some recommendations on good dixieland band charts that have parts for both clarinet AND tenor sax (along with the usual trumpet, bone and rhythm section).
I'm sure these may exist, as I remember seeing them back in the 70's when I formed a dixieland combo in junior high. However, with the style falling out of favor, you're probaby not going to have much luck these days. Besides, the dixieland style is nearly wholly improvised around the lead, and you're going to lose that flavor with written parts.

If you want an excellent dixieland fake book, on the other hand, check this out:
http://www.banjobook.com/AUTHOR-Littlefield/Littlefield_Dixieland-1.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts