Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was poking through the CDs at the local Borders liquidation sale and found a Dexter Gordon CD (Doin' Alright). Since I had heard of Dexter for years and how good he was, but had never heard him play, I decided to buy it. Great music! Instant fan! What on earth took me so long?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I often point people to this YouTube video of Dexter playing Lady Bird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vhqDCy9eQ

I consider this a jazz saxophone master class in every aspect - embouchure, air support, technique, improvisation.

This one from the same session is gorgeous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKPFIDoB7D0&NR=1

Dexter was possibly the world's most perfect tenor player. Not the best or most innovative or certainly most famous, but the most perfect in every way. He was the embodiment of my favorite jazz motto - "Straight ahead and strive for tone".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,877 Posts
Dexter is an eye opener for swinging tenor.

If you can ever get the Black Lion LPs "Live at the Montmarte Jazzhuis" Vol 1 AND 2 it will change your life . It did me.

cut 1 is Sonnymoon for 2 and it is the hardest swinging Dexter on earth, ALSO on Vol 2 Blues Walk, Like Someone in Love absolutely the hardest swinging Dex in recorded history.. Not sure if this ever made it to CD. Tim Price might know ??

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am also a huge Dexter Gordon fan. Between him and Coleman Hawkins, I am in heaven. :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,372 Posts
+1 to "Our Man in Paris!" Anyone who is a Dexter fan and doesn't have this recording, get it immediately. As a bonus, Bud Powell is on there playing at the top of his form (as was Dexter).

I was lucky enough to see Dexter Gordon live on two occasions. Unforgettable! If you think his sound is great on the recordings, it was even better live.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I LOVE Dex!!!! I've got a ton of his recordings and these YouTube additions are icing on the cake. Not maybe as technically amazing as some of his earlier works, probably my favourite recording is "Manhattan Symphonie". It oozes ambiance.

·
3,875 Posts
I favor his period in the mid 70s when he was still in Europe and recording for SteepleChase. I prefer his SteepleChase period to his Blue Note period and his Fantasy period.

·
1,877 Posts
Our Man in Paris

Homecoming

The Montmartre Collection
Hey Click, is the Montmarte Collection the live stuff from July 1967 ? That's the Black lion date . It was on July 27 and 28 , 1967. Dexter was on fire those 2 nights and it was recorded on Black Lion

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Nights at the Keystone is my desert island CD

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
+1 to "Our Man in Paris!" Anyone who is a Dexter fan and doesn't have this recording, get it immediately. As a bonus, Bud Powell is on there playing at the top of his form (as was Dexter).

I was lucky enough to see Dexter Gordon live on two occasions. Unforgettable! If you think his sound is great on the recordings, it was even better live.
Man thats cool ..... I have loved to have seen him and Turrentine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts