Discount prices at www.wwbw.com ;

Gaurdala Studio 'gold' $249 (£122) UK price £349
Gaurdala Studio 'silver' $229 (£112) UK price £329

Express postage to UK $56 (£27)

Got me a spare on the way :D

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What was the consensus on these? That the Guardalas from one source were better than the other (PMS-Germany vs WW&BW)?

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Oddly enough, I find both LT versions remarkably similar quality. This is from comparing similar designs from each, not the two different versions of MB2s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,017 Posts
I'm actually intrigued, although I don't play metal on tenor these days. I once tried out a hand made Studio a couple of years ago and was quite pleased, though it didn't make a good match for my 10M. I would be interested in how one might sound on my Silversonic, but you know... I really don't want any piece of equipment with this man's name on it. Seriously.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
But boycotting Guardala-named products does not hurt DG at this point, just some of his victims. He apparently gave his name to WW&BW and possibly PMS as settlement for goods not delivered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,017 Posts
MojoBari said:
But boycotting Guardala-named products does not hurt DG at this point, just some of his victims.
Buying and continuing to use his named products pays him homage. And don't the boxes from the lazer trimmed pieces say "hand finished"... any evidence of that?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JonF992 said:
Let me know what import duties and VAT you get stung for - fingers crossed it will be none
I've been keeping an eye on this through the FedEx online tracking facility. The package arrived at Stanstead yesterday afternoon and was 'released' this afternoon. It obviously passed through Customs, but I don't know if this means release for delivery (no duty), or whether there is a charge and i'll be receiving an invoice from FedEx in the post tomorrow morning ! It's hard to call. I buy a lot of kit from USA, sometimes I get stung for duty, but mostly not. Experience has shown me that even when I do pay duty, I still save a hell of a lot of money. I estimate on average, I get the goods half UK price and that's after i've paid postage and duty ! With this mouthpiece, any charge up to £25 and i'm still getting it half price. Anyway, i'll let you know.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Does anyone know what the tip opening is on these pieces?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gary said:
What was the consensus on these? That the Guardalas from one source were better than the other (PMS-Germany vs WW&BW)?
I've already got one WWBW Studio and a PMS New Crescent. A layman's opinion ?

Style; Identical, down to the font used to engrave the model name and emboss 'DG' under the toothguard.

Engineering; Identical, down to the machine marks.

Gold plating; Very different. The PMS is a dark, deep plating. It oozes quality. The WWBW plating however, is pale and extremely thin. I used to use rovner ligs on both pieces and the gold has totally worn off under the lig on the WWBW !

Sound; They both sound great to me, but ask someone who knows what they're talking about :D

Apart from the plating, these pieces are identical. I find it hard to believe they are produced in different factories, let alone different continents. Do PMS produce the raw WWBW models for WWBW to finish ? Does anyone know ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks that too open for me.I would hate to reface it. I like a 6 at .080.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
JonF992 said:
Let me know what import duties and VAT you get stung for - fingers crossed it will be none
Update: Things are moving fast ! Just re-checked the FedEx tracking website and it's been updated as, 'in transit', so no duty or VAT to pay !

So, brand new Guardala Studio, delivered from the USA within four days of ordering, including postage costs 67% cheaper than the UK price.

Go for it Jon ;)

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Grumps said:
Buying and continuing to use his named products pays him homage. And don't the boxes from the lazer trimmed pieces say "hand finished"... any evidence of that?
I thought you would say that about DG ;). Jeff Powell once posted that the LTs were never hand finished. He said WW&BW (Dave Bamber) insisted that that it say so on the box. Inspecting them, there is no evidence of any hand finishing. Still the CNC quality is better than some mouthpieces with hand finishing.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Maybe they mean that when the machine is finished someone picks it up with their hand and puts it in a box. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
jimmitch said:
Thanks that too open for me.I would hate to reface it. I like a 6 at .080.

I think if you had it refaced down to a 6 the baffle would touch the reed.:shock:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nick Thompson said:
So, brand new Guardala Studio, delivered from the USA within four days of ordering, including postage costs 67% cheaper than the UK price.
My previous post comes across as very mercenary and feel I should qualify it. I bought my first Studio from Sax.co.uk following a 100 mile round-trip and I paid full UK price. Again, I bought my New Crescent from Sax.co.uk following the same 100 mile round-trip and full UK price. On both occassions I could have purchased cheaper on the internet, but I value the fact that the company stocks a fantastic range of products which they are happy for you to try-out and they offer top class customer service. That's worth every penny of the UK price because otherwise I wouldn't have known they were the mouthpieces for me and i'd still be searching for the holy grail. However, i've no guilt with this purchase as i've not abused the hospitality of Sax.co.uk by wasting their time, trying all their mouthpieces then sneaking off and ordering online. There, demons exorcised :twisted:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nick i had a few guardala pieces from wwbw and most of them i got custom free however i did get charged £20 once and when you recieve it you won't believe how big the box is that it is packed in .Hope you enjoy the studio i've got a MBII handfinished coming soon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts