Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Lebayle mouthpiece (Jazz Metal no.7 for Soprano) recently from a Netherlands company through the Internet recently. However, the ligature and cap come with the mouthpiece have problem. I contacted the store to fix the problem but they claimed that they cannot help. Therefore I have no choice but deal with the Lebayle factory directly.

The problem is: the ligature and cap come with the mouthpiece are not the Lebayle original. They are BG products instead. And the BG ligature (METAL JAZZ) is essentially not for soprano. BG did not produce that model for soprano size.

I sent 3 email to Lebayle but no response... one month already.... really very disappointing experience for such a famous MP marker.... :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
From what yu posted, it seems that the dealer substituted the BG for the original. I think it is the dealer's problem and not Lebayle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrap X,
I bought from Amsterdam Winds.

Bruce, I also have the same idea as yours at the beginning... but it is unpleasant for having no response from Lebayle

·
Registered
397 Posts
A friend of mine in Hong Kong hoped to be their distributor, and couldn't even get the first batch of stock fully shipped after 6+ months of email conversations. Some missed the ligature, some missed the cap. I guess you have to find another shop to order the ligature separately, if you really want it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Doesn't sound too good!
So IF it's the case the mpc doesn't come with original ligature when the retailer got it, throwing in a BG lig might be the best they could do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Resol (Chris),

I think Lebayle mouthpieces are now equipped with BG ligatures. It's not Am Winds altered the ligatures. You can see Lebayle no longer provide ligatures on their new website.

And yes, Ricanna, I did write a post about my experience with Lebayle.

Larry

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Resol (Chris),

I think Lebayle mouthpieces are now equipped with BG ligatures. It's not Am Winds altered the ligatures. You can see Lebayle no longer provide ligatures on their new website.

And yes, Ricanna, I did write a post about my experience with Lebayle.

Larry
Oh...it's already a year since you ordered from Lebayle. If Fred cannot make it, why not just refund your money...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ricanna, I also thought that it was the problem of retailer (Amsterdam Winds). But it claimed that the factory sent them the set in that way and asked me to contact Lebayle directly. Amsterdam Winds is so suck that act like un-related 3rd party.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larry, how surprise is that you became the dealer of Lebayle. I thought Pro.Music is the sole distributor. I wish I could have known this news earlier and have bought from you directly, such that I don't need to deal with the irresponsible Amsterdam Winds and Lebayle.

I cannot tell from Lebayle's webste that it is now offering BG lig and cap. But the fact is that many BIG web-stores still selling Lebayle MP packages with original lig and cap. And I can hardly think of the rationale in supplying ALTO lig and cap for soprano MP.

Despite the lig and cap, the Lebayle set have lots of other problems. It did not come with the pounch, as you experienced.

Moreover, the MP also have quality problem. The insdie of the MP, between the throat and chamber position, is not well polished. Sharp metal edges protrude, and scrape and tear off cleaning cloth.

The disappearing of the "L" sign from the front of the MP also confused me. A black teeth pad is sticked there and covered the place for the "L" sign. People will not know the disappearing if not tearing off the teeth pad to check. I will doubt if it is not a real product if Mr. Lebayle didn't sign on the MP.

Some photo for reference:

http://item.slide.com/r/1/167/i/JRK-xaTp4T-92PyBTWN1p87zKR3YClvN/

http://item.slide.com/r/1/249/i/HOu3HpcQ5j81auSaLyAqeZia52MgV7gq/

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
I say it over and over.... you can try out any ligature in the world,
and string is better. Plain string, Nylon cord, boot shoe laces and even cotton twine are better than any commercial ligature. Try it your self....
The trick is learning how to wrap to string...
I use a new method now, after 40 years...
I wrap the string and tie it permanently,
then un-slip it still tied. The pre tied ligature slips on in seconds and in the perfect size because it was custom tied. String ligatures were used in the 1880 in the German orchestras, for the clarinets. They knew how great it really played. I never found any commercial lig that even come close to my hand tied string ligatures. Like a drum head, it's tight, but still vibrates. The reed is held tight, but it's still free to vibrate. Similar to when you experiment using rubber bands as a ligature, which by the way are also great. I've tried leather, hemp cord, silk cord, nylon, plastic, fishing line, wire, rubber coated electrical wire, (fantastic) cotton, elastic, and polyester.
I know you wanted the original Ligature, but string is so much better...
don't believe me... try it yourself....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh, I have a couple older LEBAYLE mouthpieces that do not have LEBAYLE's signature on the shank (which I bought around 1993/4).

I met a Chinese saxophone friend in Shanghai recently during the Music China exhibition. He showed me a few 'LEBAYLE' like mouthpieces. The color of the brass material, the look of the mouthpieces and the baffle/chamber designs are almost 100% 'LEBAYLE' style. This friend told me the mouthpieces were made by his friend and definitely not genuine 'LEBAYLE' mouthpieces.

And, Chris, my understanding is LEBAYLE DID NOT put a "L" logo on the mouthpiece beak, the "L" logo you mentioned was printed on transparent patch.

Btw, I dont think I will continue to be a LEBAYLE dealer after my 'very disappointing' experience with him. I am still trying to get the rest of my order or a refund from Fred Lebayle...

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
@king koeller Wow, plain old string eh? Are there any well-known players who have used a string-only ligature?
Do you remember the 4 brothers from the woody Herman band?
one of the original four brothers was Jimmy Giuffre. I met him in 1983 at NTSU for a Jazz Masterclass.
He was using a hand tied string string ligature.
All of us, with our beards and long hair, couldn't believe it!! yet when I tried it,
I was hooked. I will never go back to factory metal ligatures.
Good Luck! Please try it ....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you remember the 4 brothers from the woody Herman band?
one of the original four brothers was Jimmy Giuffre. I met him in 1983 at NTSU for a Jazz Masterclass.
He was using a hand tied string string ligature.
All of us, with our beards and long hair, couldn't believe it!! yet when I tried it,
I was hooked. I will never go back to factory metal ligatures.
Good Luck! Please try it ....
Wow, that's so cool! I actually met Jimmy years ago as well when my folks and I were looking for schools for me and visited the New England Conservatory of Music. We actually took Jimmy out for dinner, but by then he was so old that he could barely put the food in his mouth, as he was shaking so bad.

But an awesome player and composer. Maybe I should try the string thing some time.

Is there a particular type of string that you would recommend for a string ligature?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts