Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, if you haven't heard this song, you MUST. This is real music. :) It reminds me a little of Yakety Sax.

Does anyone know where I can buy the transcription of the sax part? I absolutely love it, and would really love to play it. I've looked everywhere and can't find it, thought it might be in a sax book, but it doesn't look like it.

I've tried listening to it over again to work out the notes myself, even slowed it down in Audacity, but I'm hopeless. Would anyone like to have a crack at it? If I had a rough idea, it'd be much easier, I just don't have a starting point.

Here's a link to the video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offPw82-XCU

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
610 Posts
the best way to do this is to play it over and over, so you get to the point where you can sing along to it. When you've done that you've basically learned it by ear, then it's a case of getting the notes down on paper bar by bar, then adding in the rhythm. And/or then get so you can play the phrases on your horn, which is the purpose probably of transcribing. I'm not saying it's easy, but that's the principle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys.
When I listen to it I do sing along with the sax, but then I can't work out what notes I'm hearing/singing. It'd really help if I knew what key it was in, then there would be less notes to choose from. Can anybody help with this bit please?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Firstly, if you haven't heard this song, you MUST. This is real music. :) It reminds me a little of Yakety Sax................

Here's a link to the video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=offPw82-XCU
Fantastic, thanks for the link, Mel Collins is one of the best RnB sax players in the UK, an idol of mine from my youth, what a great, great player player! Great time and good RnB vocabulary.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He really is amazing. I was watching this song today on one of their DVDs (better quality) trying to pick out his fingerings, but it was impossible. Has anyone had a listen that might be able to hint what key it's in, or some other advice?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's in G concert, so A for the Tenor. Mel's first phrase is (in Tenor pitches) E, A, B, C, C#,........C, C#, C, C#, B, A, F#, E, D...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll see what I can do tomorrow, and let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This song is really frustrating me, I'm terrible at transcribing! If anyone wants to have a go, feel free, it's tricky.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry about this taking so long.

I got round to it this week and just got my internet reconnected.

The song is saved in Noteworthy Composer format. This allows you to play the notes in the free Noteworthy Viewer to see how close, or far out, my effort is from the original. You can also print it from the viewer:)

Two Young Lovers.nwc

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea what would be stopping the file from being available to download in BC.
Have you tried right clicking on the "Two Young Lovers" link and using Copy Link Location. You should then paste it into the URL text area of a new tab and then get a prompt to save the file as it won't be recognised by the internet browser.

Let me know by PM if this, or any other ideas you may come up with, doesn't work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Perhaps you are making it too difficult in your mind.
I just played along with it for the first time on youtube & it is exactly the sort of thing that one would play naturally with the band driving.
Admittedly, that R&B is just the sort of stuff I play.
Just go for it...it's not like Giant Steps....just the sort of thing which should come naturally to an R&B tenor player.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just go for it...it's not like Giant Steps....just the sort of thing which should come naturally to an R&B tenor player.
But maybe not to a newbee wanting to learn R&B tenor playing. Mel also uses many R&B tropes which would take a beginner quite a while actually playing this kind of stuff in a good band to get comfortable with.

It's precisely that kind of experience a beginner doesn't have, so I don't see it as a bug bear to put down the notes for someone so they can get on with the job of listening to and learning to play the style.

·
6,715 Posts
But maybe not to a newbee wanting to learn R&B tenor playing. Mel also uses many R&B tropes which would take a beginner quite a while actually playing this kind of stuff in a good band to get comfortable with.

It's precisely that kind of experience a beginner doesn't have, so I don't see it as a bug bear to put down the notes for someone so they can get on with the job of listening to and learning to play the style.
Sorry....I had no idea that you were a "newbee".
Although I can read music I have never transcribed solos that I admire because I fear that the essential spontaneity would be lost....just reading the dots that other people had written down. However, if you feel that this is the way for you then, of course, do so.
I feel certain that Mel never wrote it down....just played from the heart.
May I suggest that you put the song on repeat & just slowly play along...in the spirit & timing rather than the exact combination of notes...you will be surprised how quickly you will get into it, & come up with your interpretation.
I consider this music to represent the sax at it's best...no other instrument can compete. I wish you well....just keep at it, remain free & watch the timing.
It will soon come naturally to you...honestly.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Me no noobee, it wer dun fer uvers.

I agree that a musician should be able to do all those things for themselves, but there's also a lot to be said for being able to follow someone else quite closely to get a feel for how they how it and then start making it your own.

In fact, I've taken the "do it your way" approach as a musician for 35ish years and only in the last 4-5 years (since starting sax) have I taken more notice of getting the notes as written/played under my fingers. I now wish I'd been doing it both ways for all that time as they both have their advantages.

Yes, Mel does play it differently on each occasion, but so does Mark Knopfler and the guitarist who plays the solo at the end. Still, they had to start somewhere and it wasn't at a level where they represent the "best" their instrument.

Anna was in need of a little more help in getting started on that road and, as I said, I don't see any problem giving someone a bit of a hand. The transcription is available here.

·
6,715 Posts
Me no noobee, it wer dun fer uvers.
My comment was directed at the OP....apologies for any confusion.
Sure, we are really in synch....do whatever works for you.
You say that Mel plays it differently on each occasion.....that says it all really....just how it occurred to him on the occasion....free, not stuck in a rigid groove....how R&B should be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you so much, AltoLemur!!! I have PM'd you. :D
I know that the best way to learn is to listen and follow, but I am a newbie to this style. Although I have been playing for 6 years (since I was 13), I have mainly been doing band stuff and syllabus stuff at school with my teacher. I have just finished school and am really loving playing sax more than ever now, as I have a teacher who is into rock/r&b sax, and am getting more open with my playing. I am getting better at listening/playing along, but very slowly. I definitely agree though, it's very important.
Thank you all for your input... I'm a very happy girl now. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts