Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen Dino's name brought up in posts about Yamaha 82Z's and JodyJazz DVNY mouthpieces...I just took a look and listen to his myspace site :

http://www.myspace.com/dinogovoni

I think his playing, sound, concept, ideas....is divine...a real master from that Berkelee/New England tradition.....worth a major listen.....I'm now a big fan and I think he is just killin' and worth checking out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey Mark, I studied with Dino for the last year. Every time I was in a lesson with him, he would blow me away. He really knows his stuff. A fairly well-known repairman in Mass. said to me a few months ago "there's only a handful of people in the world that can outplay Dino, and one of them just passed away" (meaning Brecker). And from what I can gather, Brecker and he were pretty good friends.

·
Registered
105 Posts
He's a great talent, but even more impressive is the fact that he will take the time to talk to amateurs like myself and answer all their questions. very nice guy.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yep, that he will. He's a good guy.

I've had two, two-week courses from him in the last few years and he's just great. He really knows his stuff and when he speaks, he does so with authority which comes from technical mastery, study with some legendary greats (Bergonzi I think, for one), and experience not only playing with outstanding jazz musicians but with reknowned pop groups, too.

Dino can really challenge you as a teacher and give you something to aspire to as a saxophonist. An exciting player who plays some very interesting lines, he also writes very good tunes. He's got two CD's out and they're both excellent.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Dino's the man........very skilled. I used to go see him play in a big band when I was in early high school. I used to sit there and be like ***. I took lessons from him for a year, and he's definitely had an influence on how I play today. Plus, he's just a great guy. Funny bastard too.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,061 Posts
I went to see Bergonzi years ago in Acton. Little did I know that he was away so in walks Dino. I had heard of him a lot but I have to say I was disappointed because I wanted to hear Bergonzi. When the quartet started playing I was no longer disappointed. Dino was smokin'. I sat there for a couple of hours by myself lovin' his playing. I talked to him for awhile on the break. He was a great easy going guy to talk to. Very friendly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts