Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have an SML alto saxophone, gold medal. At the back of the g# key, there is mechanism that selects whether the g# key is taken along when depressing any of the keys below it.
i am missing the copper screw that holds this mechanism in place.
The diameter is smaller then a M2 size screw.
What size is this and where would i be able to get one?
any hints are welcome

·
Registered
790 Posts
I can't help you with the exact dimensions, but micro-screws often run M1 - M1.2 - M1.4 and M1.6. Maybe you have a shop in town that is specialized in model trains or something of that kind. Then you could take your sax with you and see if they can help you out. They often carry small sizes and then you don't have to buy them by the 100 or more when only in need of 1 or a few. Good luck in finding what you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
form your description it will likely be a M1.6 screw. Going to the hobby shop ... danku!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Some screws smaller than 2mm are 1.7mm, with the same 0.35mm pitch as 1.6mm
A 2mm screw will not be 2mm in diameter. It will be a little less. 2mm diameter will have a pitch of 0.4mm.

See if the neck key's pivot rod fits the thread. If it does then you will have a pitch to measure.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Indeed... I even have tap and die for M1.8 x 0.35mm. I would not have bought that if I had not needed it for some instrument.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts