Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious, does anyone have or ever use one of these? Nothing fancy, but looks like a versatile little pedal seeing them on the used market for $50 or so. I'm just looking for something with some basic delay, reverb, phaser, and envelope filter effects.

https://youtu.be/CKkEDprPNeA

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have previously had an RP-200 as well as an RP-2000. They are decent multi effect pedals, or whatever you call them. The RP-200 was more plastic-y in construction as I recall. I no longer own either, as I play less guitar since taking up the sax, but they were fine. But pretty old now, there might be better items you can buy used for similar cost. I sold my RP2000 for only $50, so you can’t really go far wrong for that price.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Sean...I was thinking to plug my sax in direct I have a phantom power supply and impedance matching transformer. I can also plug into my audio interface to use my laptop for effects processing, but the laptop is also my primary synth host too. I like the idea of a standalone effects unit to supplement what I can do with the laptop and mixer.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a review of the manual confirms the adjustment for the speed and depth are locked for the chorus, phaser, flanger, etc. I won't be trying this one...speed and depth should be independent of one another, that's kind of an obvious flaw.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
A bassist friend of mine has one. It's like a very stripped down version of the Vocal-300. Useable, but you'd need a DI in between your mic, and the pedal, and you're much more limited in how you can adjust the patches, as you've noted above.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now, I'm just going to run different effects on my laptop and iOS stuff. I'm mostly using basic stuff (reverb, delay, phaser, chorus, envelope filter), it's surprising how little CPU usage I see running even 2-3 effects at a time. The virtual synths tend to use more. Plus, I already had Filtatron on my iOS devices, which is amazing the sound quality is superb.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
For now, I'm just going to run different effects on my laptop and iOS stuff. I'm mostly using basic stuff (reverb, delay, phaser, chorus, envelope filter), it's surprising how little CPU usage I see running even 2-3 effects at a time. The virtual synths tend to use more. Plus, I already had Filtatron on my iOS devices, which is amazing the sound quality is superb.
Hey, if you don't mind bringing a laptop to a gig, and if you don't mind the UI as you're playing, you're not doing anything wrong. In fact, you have an extremely versatile setup.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm already using the laptop to play synths with my WX7, so it's become another instrument to me (more like many instruments).

Of course, if the laptop crashes that would suck. But I do have a hardware synth module I could use as a backup and my mixer has basic reverb, delay, chorus and phaser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts