Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've always played alto, but Now I play Tenor in Jazz band and i need to learn the cirlcle of fifths...
well i know like the whole concept of the COF (c has no sharps, Ab has 4 flats, ect.) but like i dont understand how to play it on Tenor. like when we start on Ab Major, do i just play the Ab Major scale starting on Ab? or do i count up two half steps and play a scale starting on C? i'm really confused someone plz help!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Ok um.... I've been there myself so here goes.

1) I'm assuming you know the fingerings are the same on both saxes, in fact all saxes.

2) G on an alto is Concert Bb, thats Bb on a piano. (a piano is tuned to the key of C, Concert pitch.

3) Concert Bb on a tenor is a C,

4) So a C on the tenor is the same as a G on the alto.

Regarding playing scales the fingering are always the same on any sax, but the concert pitch of the sax is different. Its understood that tenor sax music is already transposed so you can play with the band.

5) So the solution is read the music just like the alto and it will all work out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my problem is very similar....if I have a piece of music written for the alto then do I have to rewrite it for the tenor higher up the scale and if so by how much? Or do other aspects change? :?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
spinner said:
Hi my problem is very similar....if I have a piece of music written for the alto then do I have to rewrite it for the tenor higher up the scale and if so by how much? Or do other aspects change? :?
Saxland already answered this but here goes in a slightly different way:

If you want to transpose from alto to tenor (useful if you are doubling and need to move from one horn to the other in the same tune), move up a perfect 4th or down a perfect 5th.

Example: A on alto = D on tenor.

I actually prefer to "think" of the concert key and go from there. So to transpose from concert key to the alto, move down a minor third. From concert key to tenor, move up a whole step.

Example: C concert = A on alto or D on tenor.

Regarding the circle of fifths, it is simply chord movement by 4ths or 5ths, depending on which way you go. Chord progressions tend to move along in the direction of 4ths, so that is the best way to practice it: C F Bb Eb Ab Db, etc.

cometcrater, if you are talking about Ab concert and you want to play it on tenor, go up a whole step to Bb and you're there. In other words if the piano is playing Ab, you're playing Bb on tenor. In the cycle, you'll move from Bb to Eb on the tenor, as the piano moves from Ab to Db. Once you are in "your" key on tenor, just think in the tenor key as you move around the cycle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, I'll make this quick.

Concert key is first, then the key for Bb instruments (i.e. Tenor Sax,Soprano Sax and Bass Sax).

C=D
Db=Eb
D=E
Eb=F
E=Gb
F=G
Gb=Ab
G=A
Ab=Bb
A=B
Bb=C
B=Db

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,936 Posts
You need to learn that stuff by ear in your sleep as well. Once you can translate that, you can play anything in any key. I'm working on going from C flute and G alto flute now. I wish I had an F instrument :dazed: More fun figuring out by ear too ;) just realized, I have an alto recorder in F hehehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts