Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three different Soprano mouthpieces:
- Dukoff D7*
-Otto link Tone Edge Hard Rubber 6*
- Yamaha 4C
But, the inner diameter in the side that goes into the neck’s cork is 18,4 mm for the Yamaha and Otto link and 18,8 mm for the Dukoff..
The Dukoff mouthpiece is loose on the cork and the OL TE and the Yamaha are tight.
What can be done to solve this problem ?
I appreciate your opinions and solutions.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
You could pick one and replace the cork to accommodate it and sell the other. Or gently sand down the cork to accommodate the smaller bores and use Teflon/plumbers tape around the cork when you want to play the Dukoff. Or you can build up the inner bore of the Dukoff with a layer of nail polish, JB Weld, or similar. After getting tired of doing option 2 I'm currently working on option 3.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Oh, and if you choose the third option you only need to coat the part of the bore that touches the cork.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eulipion2 many thanks, I was thinking to coat the inner portion of the Dukoff with epoxy resin ( two components) , but I like better to use the Nail Polish as you suggest…Thanks again…

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just make sure whatever you use won't harm the metal. I'm using nail polish on hard rubber. It'll probably be fine on silverite, but I don't know for certain. Maybe someone else around here has experience with doing this to metal pieces.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Have the neck sized to suit your largest mouthpiece and use teflon tape (or similar) to wrap arounmd the neck cork when you want to play the others.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The surefire way to solve the problem for ever is to ream the smaller bores to the larger dimension. The next best approach will be to use PTFE tape (or a thermal printer receipt) to wrap the cork for the one with the larger bore. I think building up .008" = 0.2 mm with nail polish, and getting it not to peel and flake off after a while, and getting it even semi-round, is a bit of a stretch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
i have used lead tape from golf club repair supplies. its thin and sticks to the inside of the mpc and is removable if you go to sell the mpc

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have used lead tape from golf club repair supplies. its thin and sticks to the inside of the mpc and is removable if you go to sell the mpc
I can't believe it's already April 1st. Winter goes by so fast.

• Haha
Reactions: CliveMA

·
Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
129 Posts
I had my tech ream them so most of them are same size except for the once with the biggest diameter. I did it once but was uneven which she corrected. My tech suggested mouthpiece monogamy :D. Teflon to the rescue for the ones with really large diameters.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Try Valentino synthetic neck cork. It has greater compress-ability and spring-back than natural cork and may be able to accommodate both of your mouthpiece sizes.
Although this gets mentioned occasionally, it does not seem to have taken off. Can you tell us more about your experience with it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i bought a reamer for soprano mouthpieces and another for bari mouthpieces. each was on the large side of the mouthpieces i had. so, when i get a new mouthpiece, i ream the bore so that it, too, will fit my corks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Although this gets mentioned occasionally, it does not seem to have taken off. Can you tell us more about your experience with it?
Can't say much more than it works for me. I have two main mouthpieces I cycle between and used to have trouble getting cork sanded down to a place where both would fit snugly. Now I have no trouble at all. I wasn't happy with my application the first time, it came loose at the seam. The second time I used contact cement (in addition to the self-stick backing) and it's holding up fine after about a year. One problem I encountered: I used cork grease on it. I'm not sure this is needed. It has made the cork somewhat sticky and it has picked up some green coloring from my Crown Royal neck bag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts