Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so ive been having problems transferring my ability to do altissimo into my jazz set up.

I know all about over tones and can do them too to bottom. ALSO I have a good grasp of voicing and multiphonics in the instrument. My altissimo on my alto classical set up. (Yamaha custom 4C with size 3.5 or 4 V21 reeds) can get up at a double D no problem.

The problem is when I switch over to my Jazz set up (Jody jazz Hr 6* with 3.0 or 3.5 vandoren java or V16) my range maxes out at an A. I've tried a size 4 reed but its WAAAYYY to hard for that setup.

Anyone ever ran into a similar problem? Maybe an unnoticed embochure change? Or does that mpc have a history of range issues. All HELPFUL comments are appreciated. TIA

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Have you thought of going down in strength instead of up?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
The embouchure concept doesn't have to change from one setup to another, although it may change from one style to another depending upon how you choose to play. What you will inevitably notice with a wildly different mouthpiece setup is that the amount you have to take in will likely vary, so be sure to find out where your lip needs to be placed. Overtones will be your friend. I have no experience with the Jody Jazz HR, but other Jody Jazz pieces I've seen have had significantly more baffle than any classical setup, which means the sensation and control of overtones and altissimo will be very different.

When going down in reed strength, oftentimes people discover that the hard setup they'd been using had been allowing them to bite up into the reed, and that technique no longer works. The same thing can be noticed when moving to a longer facing. If that's the case, focusing on overtone drills with a more relaxed embouchure and special attention to not biting in the upper ranges will help bring those altissimo notes back in reach.

The reeds you're using on your jazz setup are likely way too hard in any case. In general, a wider tip opening wants a softer reed, and assuming you're on alto, you're moving from a .059" opening which is very small to a .078-.080" opening which is on the large side of the "moderate" or "middle of the road" range. I'd expect to drop down a full reed strength or more to make that adjustment, but of course, the feel is going to be very different, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
^What Dan said. Further, voicing has much more to do with altissimo control than your embrochure. If you're tightening your embrochure, you're not allowing the reed and mouthpiece to do what they're designed to do. If that combination isn't working for you, reconsider either your reed strength or tip opening. Keep in mind that you're changing your tip opening by tightening up, so consider a thinner tip opening or a softer reed. Don't fight your setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts