Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's so many good Taiwanese brands for under $2000 now and they all look pretty much the same. I really can't see a difference at all!
So which one to choose?
Here are some that have pretty good reviews on
Phil Barone Classic Alto
Macsax Classic
Macsax Alto
Kessler Handmade "Jazz"
Gary Sugal Pure Copper
Gary Sugal Black Nickel
Rheuben Allen Hollywood Black Diamond

All under $1500!!
What's the difference?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
You need to try them out I have an amazing P mauriat that i purchased that amazing dark sounding horn !

Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Some are great some are crap, you left out two (that have a longer history and are still going strong) that have models that most likely are better playing, sounding and build quality than what you've listed, Jupiter and Antigua Winds (including their new Pro One but higher in price).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some are great some are crap, you left out two (that have a longer history and are still going strong) that have models that most likely are better playing, sounding and build quality than what you've listed, Jupiter and Antigua Winds (including their new Pro One but higher in price).
But they dont have any models under $1500 that would sound better would they?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found an Antigua AS4240 for $1399 so add that to the list. No pro Jupiter models below $1500 though

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the new list is
Phil Barone Classic Alto
Macsax Classic
Macsax Alto
Kessler Handmade "Jazz"
Gary Sugal Pure Copper
Gary Sugal Black Nickel
Jupiter CAS-2000
Antigua AS4240

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have a Barone Classic Tenor...unbelieveable Horn. I still want to try the Alto. I have a late 60's mkVI and honestly....not enough difference to risk ^%#ing up the mkVI in a Club to take it. I play the Barone almost always. No BS. They are Great Horns! I have been playing for 30+ years. Hope this helps. Jim

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some I didn't really like so I've narrowed the list down to

Jupiter CAS-2000
Antigua AS4240
Phil Barone Classic Alto
Kessler Handmade "Jazz"
Added Kessler Custom Deluxe Black

Anymore suggestions?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,472 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Perhaps a thread for the techs on the forum would be a good idea. I have not played many of the saxes listed here but do play a Jupiter pro model I like a lot. Perhaps the techs could rate the different Taiwanese brands from a few different parameters. I would suggest build quality, intonation, tone, warranty and ergonomics. However, if the saxes seem the same, you may want to rate what is different. How happy are the players with Sugal saxes compared to the players with Barone saxes? What are the things they like most? What are things they like least? Good luck in your search for value in Taiwanese saxes. In my opinion, there are great savings to be made when compared to buying a new sax like a professional Selmer. Still, there will always be saxes on the market that appear shiny and nice that really are not a good value for a variety of reasons.
You do have to make sure the people writing the "rave reviews" are not limited to the people trying to sell you the sax. ("if you call right now, I'll also throw in this very high quality cleaning swab, a fire truck and a puppy, but hurry because you know I can't do this all day..."). Personally, I like the sound of Jim's review above. This really sounds to me like a player who likes the sax and finds it a great value.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I play a Taiwan made Maxtone alto (63 model: standard bell and bore)...bought it new WAY under $1500. My tech hasn't even seen it yet and I sold my lightly used Cannonball BBSS and a really nice Martin Committee 2 that was freshly overhauled because it is on par with both of them for my needs. I am primarily a tenor player. Haven't played any of the other altos on your list. Also haven't played a Chinese made Maxtone, but the Taiwan ones get good reviews from people on SOTW who have them....I think you should add them to your list. You can occasionally find new ones on eBay, and SOMETIMES you can order one direct...they seem to pick and choose who they let do that. The shipping is a little steep, but the price is right, and you can have them customize it a little for you (finish, ket touches, serial number, etc)

I do have a Barone Vintage tenor and the sound is great! My tech is going to fix some minor issues on Tuesday, then I will post a full review and A/B it with my Cannonball Raven as soon as I have time. I wouldn't hesitate to give Phil's alto a try if I needed one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Some Antiguas are made in china. Not sure which models.
Antigua Winds was established by Fred Hoey in 1991 with a line of student instruments, the company entered the professional market around 2004. The headquarters for the company is located in San Antonio, Texas, the instruments are built in Taiwan and the factory is owned by Antigua Winds (unlike allot of others) and all their materials are procured by them as well.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I play a Taiwan made Maxtone alto (63 model: standard bell and bore)...bought it new WAY under $1500. My tech hasn't even seen it yet and I sold my lightly used Cannonball BBSS and a really nice Martin Committee 2 that was freshly overhauled because it is on par with both of them for my needs. I am primarily a tenor player. Haven't played any of the other altos on your list. Also haven't played a Chinese made Maxtone, but the Taiwan ones get good reviews from people on SOTW who have them....I think you should add them to your list. You can occasionally find new ones on eBay, and SOMETIMES you can order one direct...they seem to pick and choose who they let do that. The shipping is a little steep, but the price is right, and you can have them customize it a little for you (finish, ket touches, serial number, etc)
I do have a Barone Vintage tenor and the sound is great! My tech is going to fix some minor issues on Tuesday, then I will post a full review and A/B it with my Cannonball Raven as soon as I have time. I wouldn't hesitate to give Phil's alto a try if I needed one.

I found some pretty cheap one on ebay. a 55, 63, 64, 59, 58 100, and a 535 which do you reccomend?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Antigua Winds was established by Fred Hoey in 1991 with a line of student instruments, the company entered the professional market around 2004. The headquarters for the company is located in San Antonio, Texas, the instruments are built in Taiwan and the factory is owned by Antigua Winds (unlike allot of others) and all their materials are procured by them as well.
I am familiar with the company, but some of their instruments are made in China.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts