Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the changes they made from the early to later 62 or 62R or 62RS???pete

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a thought, this might be better suited to the Yamaha sub-forum instead of the marketplace.

In the meantime, I'm gonna see what i can dig up about your actual question. I know some of the things that changed on the 62 alto over the years when they made improvements, but not the sop's specifically.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
Steve P. is a very knowledgeable guy on these horns, having his YSS-62R up for sale right now.

I have an early YSS-62, SN 3XXX that has the "bell keys" on the left hand side, the C# pad in the center, and the C pad on the right hand side, which I believe is different than the later models.

Leter owners chime in, please.

--Sidepipes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I recall the first 62's had their low C# pad on top of the tube. Later, the low C# was placed on the lower part of the tube, in line with B1 and Bb1. This was alluded to in a recent FOR SALE posting on SOTW. I've also mentioned it before.

The recent seller of a 62R commented that he thought the more recent placement of the low C# (underside of the tube in line with B1 and Bb1) was the better design.

I disagree - the placement on top of the tube keeps the low C# out of the moisture stream and thus reduces the chances of sticking shut.

But what do I know - I don't like Yamahas. DAVE

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Sidepipes -

My YSS-62 is just like yours, with the silkscreened logo.

The SN is 012XXX. I was told by the widow of my late friend, from whom I got the horn, that it was made in the early 80's. Is that correct?

And do all old 62's have the the silkscreeened logo, as opposed to the engraved one? How do we tell what generation of 62 is only by looking at YAS-, or YSS-, or YTS- 62?

·
Administrator Emerita
11,597 Posts
Admin note:

Folks, the flow of this discussion might seem a little off since the responses above come from two different threads about the same topic and which have been merged together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts