Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many threads about Rigotti tenor reeds but I don't get the answer to my question what the difference in quality and strength is between the Queen and the Gold reeds is. The shop that sells the queen in Holland says: "Rigotti Regal Queen are the same reeds as the Rigotti Gold reeds, well known as representing the finest in precision and playability. The difference is only that the Regal Queen are less hand pick selected before being packed. Nevertheless, they stay as a good set with consistent, focused and last well reeds and with also a very attractive price list." Is that true? And what about difference in strength? If difference in box is € 4,50, and they are the same but the Gold are more hand pick selected would it be a better deal to buy the Gold ones?
Leo

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
there is no difference in strength.

As for quality some time ago I used to buy Rigotti Queen and when they were not available for a while I spoke to the shop where I bought them at the time and they said that they considered Queen “ seconds” of the Gold ( I don’t know if they KNOW that but that seems to me a reasonable assessment). All Rigotti are chosen by hand because they don’t have the expensive machinery that Vandoren or Rico have.

Queen seem to have more aesthetic irregularities ( which don’t bother me at all).

At some point I bought a few boxes of Gold but I would buy Queen in future if I ever want to save a few €

1 - 2 of 2 Posts