Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have already searched the forums for my answer to this question but I'm not really finding it, my saxophone professor had me try some rico reserve classics on my alto, I'm playing on a selmer c*. I was just wondering what is the difference in how rico reserves and vandoren blue boxes are manufactured? Where does their cane come from? I'm wondering because I want to like the rico's because the are 3-4 bucks cheaper than vandorens, but i don't know if it's just me or what but it seems like the ricos take forever to break in compared to the vandorens. once they are broken in and I've sanded them and everything, I like how they play, for now I'm sticking to my vandorens unless the rest of my box of ricos i have now changes, but I was wondering about their manufacturing and stuff so maybe I could understand why the ricos take longer to break in for me.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I'm currently going back and forth between blue box Vandorens and Rico Reserves on tenor.
I actually find that the Rico's need less breaking in than the Vandos. Are you using the same strength on each? I find that their strengths are equivalent.

http://www.ricoreeds.com/ricoStrengthComparisonChart.Page?mode=0

Both reeds have similar cuts (thin tip, high heart) so they play pretty much the same to me. I do find that there is a difference in Rico and Vandoren cane, I'm not sure about the reason for this. Different type of cane? Different selection? Different growing or curing methods?

For me the Rico's have a slightly buzzier, reedier quality to them (that could be attributable to my mouthpiece choice). I've been a long time blue box (traditional) Vandoren user and I was curious about the Reserve. It's a very good reed, but I prefer the Vandoren so I'll stick with that.

FWIW, they're the same price where I'm located.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the thing that I've noticed too is everyone on this forum seems to think that rico's take less time to break in, maybe I'm just not used to them bc I've played vandoren all my life? I do like how the rico's play, it just takes me a while to break them in, and yes I use the same strength, 3's on both brands, I think I will stick to vandorens for now, (Just got a buy on get one free deal on black friday!) but I'll finish out my box of reserves and see if anything changes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,390 Posts
What does "longer to break in" mean? What are you waiting for to happen that the Rico gets there quicker? Just curious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, well basically when I'm just waiting for the new reeds to lose their stiffness and stop having that airy sound when playing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts