Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Do someone know the difference between wolfe tayne and guy hawkins hard rubber for tenor? What specifications of it's mouthpiece? The most dark ?
Real difference between vintage and mordern mouthpiece ?
I've see that saxophonist like Chris Speed play one of this mouthpiece i don't know if it's a GH or a WT.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ok, this isn't definitive but..... I think they are the same mouthpiece and always have been. Wolfe sold his original designs to Babbit ages ago and they still market and sell them. I MYSELF would call or email BARI and ask someone there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
The 'old' Wolfies in metal are very nice pieces, usually gold plate over nickel and came with single screw 'Link' type lig---but better IMO. Brightish tone but with good middle and bottom,very versatile. These have a deep chamber with straight inside walls and long S shape baffle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok! thanks a lot for your answers! in fact it would be great to ask bari about wolfe tayne hard rubber, it will be interesting too to know if a bari hard rubber is near to a wolfe tayne or if it's exclusively the bari WTII and WTIII..

·
Registered
895 Posts
I used to talk to Wolfie all the time when I worked at the Saxophone Shop in Evanston. I don't know if he's still around and if he is he would be of really advanced years. He loved to talk about the old days and about mouthpieces in general. I played one of his chrome plated Wolfe Tayne mouthpieces for more than 10 years and I sold it to a friend who uses it as his everyday piece. I bought it in the mid seventies and it was very Berg like. I hope he's doing well and still goes to work everyday.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have a hr Wolfe Tayne alto piece, it's pretty good sized inside. Little baffle, if any. I'd call it medium/medium large. I can't say how the HR tenor piece would play, I feel like the sound is fairly dark but still focused. I like it.

As far as dark vs bright, I was playing a couple Beechlers (purchased from the Saxophone Shop =) ) for a long time and those can get pretty bright. So it's all relative. Anyone with more specific info, please chime in...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a hr Wolfe Tayne alto piece, it's pretty good sized inside. Little baffle, if any. I'd call it medium/medium large. I can't say how the HR tenor piece would play, I feel like the sound is fairly dark but still focused. I like it.
and this is a modern wolfe tayne or a vintage ? thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts