Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Just got a True Tone series IV alto in the mail today, in comparing it to my '25 series III they seem identical except for the engraving, the series IV says "USA" as well as the rest. Engraving style is a little different.

Are there any real differences between the two? Having all the "series'" is kinda silly to begin with, but it really seems odd to have a different series only because of a word added to the engraving. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Both are lovely, lovely horns.

thanks,

Klook

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I sold one of these just about two weeks ago serial 246xxx. I have a 221XXX. Take a look at the neck. The later 246xxx had an 01 neck and the earlier had an 1. The 01 neck is smaller at the mouthpiece end and has a greater degree of taper to the tenon. I measured this and made a video. The 01 neck played in tune very well. The 1 neck on the 246xxx did not play in tune. However the 1 neck played in tune on its original 221xxx, as best as I could tell with a lot of leaks in that horn. I can get the video uploaded to youtube sometime later. Other than that there was minor key shape differences and a key guard that is shaped different. Also look at this chart in saxpics

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=1

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi folks,
Just got a True Tone series IV alto in the mail today, in comparing it to my '25 series III they seem identical except for the engraving, the series IV says "USA" as well as the rest. Engraving style is a little different.

Are there any real differences between the two? Having all the "series'" is kinda silly to begin with, but it really seems odd to have a different series only because of a word added to the engraving. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Both are lovely, lovely horns.

thanks,

Klook
I'm curious to see more information on this thread. I have one I'm about to put up for sale but was trying to find some more info on it and get some good pics first. The first round of pics I took the flash was too bright in. There was a great thread here on some of the differences and what models went with each serial range but I can't seem to find it now :-( If anyone knows where it might be hiding it would be much appreciated! Hope you enjoy the horn Klook! I liked mine due to the small left hand table and it had a nice warm tone.

Thanks!
Kristy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a 207xxx which would be considered a Series III and a 235xxx which would be considered a Series IV.

According to the Saxpics site the only difference they list is the engraving style between this two.
In the next day or two I'll get both mine out and sit them side by side to see if I can spot any difference at all.

Oh, both my necks are labeled "1". They both work great with the horn.

thanks,
Klook

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the series III have the rocker mechanism on the g#? I thought that was only on the series IV.

I think this may be the big difference besides the "USA" added to the engraving. In comparing my Series III and IV they are identical in every way except for the upgraded rocker for G#.
Also as someone mentioned earlier I have heard reports that some of the later model IV's had some of the other neck options, O1 etc. My Series IV however has the identical "1" neck my Series III has.

So it seems to me the changes here are very minor. From the standpoint of a player and repair person the added G# rocker is nice to have but doesn't really change anything about the way the horn plays or sounds. To me, Series III's are every bit as good as Series IV.

It seems interesting that the consensus seems to be to go with the IV's...and they seem to fetch a higher price. Seems kinda silly since the III's are basically the same!

thanks,
Klook

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Only difference that I've been able to tell is the engraving. Both "usually" have a Front F, though I've seen pics of a couple early ones with a roller G# that don't. Rest of the key work is unchanged from III to IV as is everything else mechanical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts