Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a Morgan 5M compare to a 6M to a 7M? I know that the wider tips require thinner reeds, but assuming everything is matched up well what are the pros and cons of more open vs. more closed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My opinion

the difference is in the easyiness of playing and the tone colour. the more wider are for 'beginners' and the thinner for 'pros' but that is not a rule.
you must try playing with a few of them to see if you like the sound. I'm play my alto with a 'Vandoren A28'(the best mpc company in Europe and maybe in the world) and I use reeds 2 and a half. the ligature matters too:cool:

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TonySax said:
the difference is in the easyiness of playing and the tone colour. the more wider are for 'beginners' and the thinner for 'pros' but that is not a rule.
you must try playing with a few of them to see if you like the sound. I'm play my alto with a 'Vandoren A28'(the best mpc company in Europe and maybe in the world) and I use reeds 2 and a half. the ligature matters too:cool:
I played a 7L on tenor and it was fine. Now I switched to alto and got a 7M. I figured it would be about the same, maybe a little more open, but I needed the smaller chamber to fix intonation problems. Now I wonder if I should have gotten a 6M,( for better control and softer playing?), but I'm not sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,058 Posts
If your not sure make sure to be conservative when going up in tip size. I played 7* and 8 (.105 and .110) reguarly and steped down to a .090 and .095 recently. This afforded the ease of more flexibility in choosing a reed for TONAL differences as opposed to necessity.

Using a properly faced piece....that is critical I found: The difference in volume and projection is much over rated with big tip openings. A big sound is a product of an efficient setup and the technique. Also, A smaller tip opening is easier (at least for me) to play in tune. The flexibiliy of bending notes also invites more variance if your not accomplished.

Most importantly, dont get caught up in hype or the belief that bigger is better. Use what is comfortable FOR YOU! Phrasing is difficult when you use a setup that doesnt fit you. A pleasant tone is difficult to achieve. There is a reason all these sizes and reed strengths are made. Also, make sure to have a really good time!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,319 Posts
DanSax64 said:
I can "bend" the note easier with larger tip & thinner reeds
:cool:
Or an alternative way of phrasing that is to say "I can play out of tune easier with a larger tip and thiner reed":)

Can play louder with a larger tip too, at least, thats my experience. Keeping it all in tune with the larger facing is the reason its not encouraged for beginners I think.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sigmund451 said:
If your not sure make sure to be conservative when going up in tip size. I played 7* and 8 (.105 and .110) reguarly and steped down to a .090 and .095 recently. This afforded the ease of more flexibility in choosing a reed for TONAL differences as opposed to necessity.

Using a properly faced piece....that is critical I found: The difference in volume and projection is much over rated with big tip openings. A big sound is a product of an efficient setup and the technique. Also, A smaller tip opening is easier (at least for me) to play in tune. The flexibiliy of bending notes also invites more variance if your not accomplished.

Most importantly, dont get caught up in hype or the belief that bigger is better. Use what is comfortable FOR YOU! Phrasing is difficult when you use a setup that doesnt fit you. A pleasant tone is difficult to achieve. There is a reason all these sizes and reed strengths are made. Also, make sure to have a really good time!
This to my mind is a very well thought out and accurate description of the difference betwen playing a larger or smaller tip opening and how to choose the right size! :salute:

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
need help...

I think I might need a new mouthpiece. I like the way my Morgan 7M sounds but it feels like I'm fighting it to get it to play. It is too much effort. I don't think I like the sound of very thin reeds either (am using RJS 3M unfiled.)

I want playing to be a fun and relaxed activity, not stressful. Should I try a 6M or 5M?

·
13,058 Posts
You may want to play with different reeds first...though Im sure you could work a trade for a smaller tip opening. I find that I always have to fight RJS reeds. The price makes me wish they world work for me but I always sound harsh on them and find them unresponsive.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sigmund451 said:
You may want to play with different reeds first...though Im sure you could work a trade for a smaller tip opening. I find that I always have to fight RJS reeds. The price makes me wish they world work for me but I always sound harsh on them and find them unresponsive.
I have tried rico, rico royal, hemke, vandoren blue, vandoren java, and lavoz.

RJS and Java were the most recommended by people here for this Morgan. I tried a Java 2.5 and a 3.5, and I'm not sure why but I did not like it. I could try a Java 3. For RJS I have 3M, unfiled and have a few filed also, but I think I prefer the unfiled.

·
4,147 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
I think I might need a new mouthpiece. I like the way my Morgan 7M sounds but it feels like I'm fighting it to get it to play. It is too much effort. I don't think I like the sound of very thin reeds either (am using RJS 3M filed.)

I want playing to be a fun and relaxed activity, not stressful. Should I try a 6M or 5M?

Try a RJS 2H filed.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Canadiain said:
Or an alternative way of phrasing that is to say "I can play out of tune easier with a larger tip and thiner reed"
Ha! I love it! Brilliant! :notworth:

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried playing today with the RJS 3M filed. Finally, everything fell into place. It feels and sounds good, and I was able to subtone the low notes just fine. My chops are getting fatigued a little faster than before, but this might be just from being used to tenor, which I guess doesn't require as firm of an embouchure. So I don't think I need to get a smaller tip mouthpiece for now. Intonation was fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,524 Posts
Another choice to consider is the Alexander DC. I used to use RJS (U) also.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dr G said:
Another choice to consider is the Alexander DC. I used to use RJS (U) also.
I have used them before with good results... I used to get them from wwbw. Are they up and about again (music123?) or, where do you get yours?

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Martinman said:
Try a RJS 2H filed.
In the end I realized I was having issues so I got a box of the 2H filed. Now, it's a totally different playing experience. It suddenly became very free-blowing. Is it too free-blowing? When I was playing with a pianist today (my dad :)) I felt like I was making an effort to be restrained, but, the tone, especially low notes had a beautiful tone. Intonation was ok for me, but it did take more control (restraint?) My question is, even if it is nitpicking, could I get a little more resistance by switching to a 6M/3S or something like that?

I am trying to find that "just right" feeling that makes me just want to play and play. It's much better than it was before, but I am just wondering about getting a little more resistance without losing the response... or not... it could be something I could grow to like. What do you guys think?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Hi coolsax2k7,
I just replied to your thread about Runyon Custom.
In this thread I may add: Patience.
It takes time to get accustomed to a new sax, it takes at least a month to get accustomed to a new mouthpiece. And it takes to time to get used to different reeds.
Reading your post of 26. June, I can quote my nice experience when I switched to Francois Louis reeds. I play the same strength as RJS 2H and am now using # 3 from Francois Louis. The funny thing is that they are just as easy to play but they gave me that resistance you mention. Be aware that they get a little softer with use, so the first times you play them they may feel somewhat too hard.
They are more expensive than other standard brands, but the "success-rate" is also higher, i.e. the hardness is more homogenous.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
I think I might need a new mouthpiece. I like the way my Morgan 7M sounds but it feels like I'm fighting it to get it to play. It is too much effort. . .
Check your horn for leaks. Even a small leak can make you feel like your fighting to get the sound you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts