Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there are a lot of threads dealing with neck straps; however, I can't find one to answer this question.

My neck gets tired when I play, and I currently use a padded neotech neck strap. I am interested in the Oleg Ergonomic Sax Strap.
http://www.wwbw.com/Oleg-Ergonomic-Sax-Strap-or-Harness-i84845.music

The Oleg Ergonomic Sax Strap is only a dollar less than the Ergoplus, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference on these two straps are? If the Ergoplus is better than I certainly would be more than willing to pay $1 more for it.

There is also the harness, but I don't really want to use a harness as of yet.

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,220 Posts
More padding. By the way, Oleg is ripping off Die Holzbläser in Berlin. They've been making these straps for a long, long time. I have one and bought it when I lived there back in the 90's. Oleg is a phony and most of his stuff is a straight rip off.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Some of his products are truly great.

snazzyjazzyRoHo said:
I realize there are a lot of threads dealing with neck straps; however, I can't find one to answer this question.

My neck gets tired when I play, and I currently use a padded neotech neck strap. I am interested in the Oleg Ergonomic Sax Strap.
http://www.wwbw.com/Oleg-Ergonomic-Sax-Strap-or-Harness-i84845.music

The Oleg Ergonomic Sax Strap is only a dollar less than the Ergoplus, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the difference on these two straps are? If the Ergoplus is better than I certainly would be more than willing to pay $1 more for it.

There is also the harness, but I don't really want to use a harness as of yet.

Thanks!
Here's the difference: the Ergo Plus, aside from being a dumb name, is a great strap. How is it different from the Ergo? The Ergo Plus has two clips that allow you to drop two suspender-like straps down your back that simply clip on your belt or belt loops. What do these do? They take the pressure off the neck and transfer the weight to your shoulders. Shoulders bear weight much better than necks do. I have three of these straps. Sometimes I use the suspenders and sometimes I don't. They clip on or off, so you can make the setup fit your needs.

I've never met Oleg. I think he is widely regarded as a character. And I do not know what degree of originality his products represent. I do know that he has numerous items that are of great utility to me. I use his risers and love them, I have one of his mouthpieces, but feel it's ersatz. However, his Ergoplus is the best strap I have every had. I have had many. And that includes one I had custom made for me from parts of other straps and assembled by a canvas designer in her shop. I'll take the Ergoplus every time.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Chicken 'Lil said:
More padding. By the way, Oleg is ripping off Die Holzbläser in Berlin. They've been making these straps for a long, long time. I have one and bought it when I lived there back in the 90's. Oleg is a phony and most of his stuff is a straight rip off.
I wouldn't know about his originality when it comes to his products, but I would be careful about saying things like that without a little more then your opinion to back it up.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
If you are using the Oleg leather ergonomic strap be sure to wear it on the OUTSIDE of your collar. Mine smells so bad from neck perspiration I can't use it any more. I tried washing it, perfuming it, everything. Friend of mine had same problem.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Leon said:
If you are using the Oleg leather ergonomic strap be sure to wear it on the OUTSIDE of your collar. Mine smells so bad from neck perspiration I can't use it any more. I tried washing it, perfuming it, everything. Friend of mine had same problem.
Hmmm that type of odor comes from bacteria. I would guess maybe there is something you can soak it in that may work to eliminate that oder. Maybe something that is for foot odor?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been using the Oleg Ergo strap for a few years and it is still my favorite. Never had issues with a smell of any kind even though it's worn against my neck, not clothes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I've been using the Oleg Ergo for about 3 years and love it. It's easy to adjust when I'm doubling, and I have not had any problems involving smell. The strap is very comfortable and seems very durable. I've only tried a few of Oleg's products, but have liked them. His tenor sax neck is amazing on my SA80 and I tried an alto neck that really worked well on a Series III.

Leon, have you tried Febreeze? That stuff works great on killing bad oders. I tried it on an old musty Buescher case and it worked great. Another option is to create a 50/50 mix of water and Clorox. The bleach should kill the bacteria on the leather instantly.

·
Registered
778 Posts
SuperAction80 said:
. . . (snip) . . .Leon, have you tried Febreeze? That stuff works great on killing bad oders. I tried it on an old musty Buescher case and it worked great. Another option is to create a 50/50 mix of water and Clorox. The bleach should kill the bacteria on the leather instantly.
SA80, it's Febreze (one 'e') and here's the site:

http://www.febreze.com/sites/en_US/febreze/index.jsp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts