Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a new sax, and I'm looking at the Yamaha YAS 62III. There is a silver model (which i really like) and a normal gold lacquer version. I was wondering what the difference in sound would be vs the two. I'm a classical player too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,224 Posts
the gold lacquer one has a jazzy, bright, mellow, dark, clear tone, and the silver plated one has a clear, dark, mellow, bright, jazzy tone! ;->
Exactly. LMFAO.

FWIW, I would also get the silver one....but keep in mind that silverplate will patina over time; so having a nice silverplate polishing cloth (Selmer, Blitz) for occasional use is a good idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
The only real difference is the colour.
Perceived difference is a different matter.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,143 Posts
Just have to add my 2 cents:

One will have a gold color and the other will have a silver color.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,249 Posts
I like shiny horns!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,601 Posts
Get whichever one you prefer. Finish makes no discernible difference in tone to the audience.

Yamaha's lacquer is very durable, so I wouldn't expect it to show wear for many many years.

Silver requires a polishing every once in a while to stay shiny. Less often if you have tarnish strips or silver cloth in your case.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting, I was reading up on a similar subject earlier today regarding my interest in an Alto horn that is made in four different materials. Given the matter is debated by some, the only plausible difference you the player is likely to notice is in the vibration sense and how that may or may not compliment what you hear behind the horn and for that you would need to play both. The vibration of the horn offers a significant source of influence because if you could not hear, you would at least be able to feel the vibration from the instrument. The thickness, density and coatings have an effect on vibration frequency that you may or may not find pleasant. That's the only thing that makes sense to me as I've listened to a number of comparisons and rarely heard a difference that could be attributed to the horn make and finish, over variance in the player and how well the same mpc works with the horns being compared. The listener will likely hear no difference.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts