Sax on the Web Forum banner

difference between Beechler Bellite and ARB?

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  craigmultireedguy 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I'm a real fan of bright mouthpieces. I'm currently mainly a tenor player (Mark VI with a Guardala Brecker II, which I love!!!), but I've been starting to play alto lately as well. I've been looking into mouthpieces for it because the only one I have now is a Runyon Custom, which is nice but doesn't give me a sound that's even close to as bright or edgy as I would like. I've decided to get a beechler bellite or an ARB, because I've heard good things about both. What are the differences between the two? Like which one is brighter, more versatile, etc.?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks!
-Craig

#2 ·
I own both (have the ARB out on loan for someone to try) The ARB has a much thinner beak and has a nice bright sound (Rangell uses one). The Bellite has a different shaped beak and has a more powerful tone, imo. I also have a Beechler Custom which is similar to the Bellite but has a more centered tone and just slightly less edgy. I also find it to play in tuner better.

#3 ·
I've played Bellites on tenor for years and find I can get a sound that is quite bright or actually on "the darker side" depending upon the reed and how I play it. I'd love to hear the differences in the Bellite/Arb for tenor as well.

#5 ·
I found the 2 bellite alto pieces i had,a 7 and a 8 very reed picky.With a good reed the 8 played great but i found them atad stuffy also.Never blew a Arb as yet.I still find a Vandoren jumbo java hard to beat for that bright alto sound,there very good with reeds and cheap.I sold my Theo Wanne Durga alto piece for the jumbo java.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.