Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One bidder and it ends at the minimum bid? I had mine on ebay less than a year ago and it went above 3k (short of my reserve though). I have been debating for weeks to put it for sale again, but if they can't break the 2k mark I'll hang on to it. Anyway, what happened? Has the bottom just fallen out that much? Did the sellers feedback cause this? Poor pictures? Not long ago a broken incomplete one would sell for 1k. There are a few of these on dealer sites marked at 4k+, you'd think someone could flip it to a dealer at 2k and bank a quick $500. And if you are wondering I didn't see it until after it sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grafton-Alto-Saxophone-/160589226405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563dd21a5

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you read the Saxophone Journal? The last issue had an article by Steve Goodson on how poorly these horns were made.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't read the article. I'm just not going to bother to reply to that, my official reply is I have no reply. I do see the sale was limited to the US only, I think that majorly hurt the sales price.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
$1500 bucks for a broken -is there any other kind- Grafton seems about right or actually sort of high.

Yeah there are dealers asking 4k ... but are there dealers GETTING 4k?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"pads are very good, plays great!"

How does that equate to broken? Yea the thinnest piece, the bell brace is broken, easy repair. And yes there are plenty of them that are not broken. Ok I know they are not getting 4k, but they certainly not giving a 2500 discount.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
EBay horns are almost all listed as "pads are very good, plays great."

The Graftons are truly THE quintessential "collector's horn". In the current market there just aren't that many folks who are willing to spring for a couple of thousand bucks for a horn which is certain to need repairs (however easy the listed defect may be to repair) from a music store who is selling it on line and who has a 91% rating. Heck- why wouldn't they have fixed it? Just not someone I'd care to deal with for such an item at other than a bargain- say 14 or 1500 dollars- price.

There are a lot of music stores who seem to use EBay for those items that are unlikely to sell when viewed "in person". Three day return or no- if I was springing for a Grafton I'd want it to either come from an individual who had perfect feedback and could personally describe/vouch for the horn and who provided good pictures... or I'd want to see it in person.

Very low to no listing fees these days (they hit you when it sells)- list it for what you want plus an addition to cover the EBay fees and wait and see. I certainly wish you the best of luck and don't doubt that, as a collector's horn, one that is in good shape ought to demand a high price. You may have to wait a bit though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Some possible factors involved include the seller has some negative feedback. Furthermore, there's no original case. As these horns appeal to collectors, that's going to reduce the value for them.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I think the price is about given that

US bidders only
Broken
probably needs a lot of (extremely expensive) work.

My most recent Grafton cost £1700, but is not broken, and was in full playing order. I considered that price to be OK for a dealer, had I bought it privately the price should have been lower, however at the time I also saw GC (ie not broken and good pads) Graftons selling for 3000 Euros.

Even though mine had decent pads, I did decide to get it repadded, following Stephen's howard's advice that although the pads were fine, the action would be improved by less "spongy" pads than the Grafton originals. As I use this horn to play rather than "collect" I opted to go for that. His choice was not a completely firm pad as I would have liked, because he thought that kind of pad would not suit the mechanism of the Grafton, so he installed semi firm pads so that they were soft enough to take into account the quirks of the instrument design, but firm enough to feel better to play than the originals.

You can read the article here: The naked Grafton.

That article explains exactly why any tech doing proper work on a Grafton (as opposed to the usual bodges) ought to charge a lot of money as it is extremely time consuming merely to dismantle one and then mantle it, even without doing any work.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea the overhaul on mine was nearly as much as I paid for the horn, and that was 10 years ago, the price tag these days would probably be double, if you can find someone who will work on it. I like Stephen's description of the sound as "slightly fuzzy" that is about right, great article, I've read many of his.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There's also just the simple up and down of buying on Ebay. I've seen horns go for one price, and later, very similar horns go for twice as much or half as much. If this Grafton had been listed three months from now, or three months ago, it may have fetched much more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts