Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these bare metal touches? I do not see any retainer cup that would have once held
pearl touches. So if this is original without pearls when might this sax have been from?

It's a Lyon & Healy American Professional silver plate tenor 5 digit S#

Thanks

Idiophone Gas Wood Musical instrument Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting Gold plated and trying to cut corners hmmm but I guess anything goes in marketing strategy! Looks like this L&H is a C melody is that the same as a C tenor? Mine is approx 27" tall

· Premium Member
Alto and Tenor, prefer Martins Began playing March 2022
352 Posts
Interesting Gold plated and trying to cut corners hmmm but I guess anything goes in marketing strategy! Looks like this L&H is a C melody is that the same as a C tenor? Mine is approx 27" tall
Do you have more pictures? Also in the link that I shared there are some catalog pages from L&H so you can see the models. My Conn C tenor (a.k.a. C melody) is about 24" tall to the neck tenon. It is a straight neck so about 27" overall.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a previous post with photos of the C melody sax I bought it today for $35 from Salvation Army it's been made into a lamp and I am considering dismounting it and trying to revive it. Wild find...

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,554 Posts
Here's a previous post with photos of the C melody sax I bought it today for $35 from Salvation Army it's been made into a lamp and I am considering dismounting it and trying to revive it. Wild find...

From the support under the neck it’s a Buescher. That’s the only maker that had that design support. They only used it on one model. C melody. should measure something like 25 inches from the bottom of the bow to the top of the neck receiver.
This was most likely made before 1923. A decent playing C melody. many pre-1925 saxophones did not come with pearls. Interesting as this one has a gold wash bell.
Yeah it’s worth fixing as a DIY. Study up and buy some decent screwdrivers before working on it. Mistakes get time consuming and frustrating. The wrong tip angle on a screwdriver will wedge the hinge rod into the post. Common mistake.
lol $35 lamp. The mouthpiece is worth that much.
Great find ! And it came with a shop lamp🤣

6,554 Posts
Here’s some more information for your studies.

· Registered
882 Posts
One of the best sounding tenors I ever owned was an old Conn without pearls. It had no engraving other than C.G. Conn on the bell and smooth finish (no satin) that was like shiny like chrome and I assume was Nickel Plated. I believe these were all options that you could specify and the no pearl, no rolled tone hole, no satin finish, no silver or gold plate etc. would have saved a lot of money on the purchase price.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a gold-plated Selmer C tenor with no pearl key touches. And I've seen quite a few "home edition" saxes with limited range and no touches, likely to cut cost to bare minimum.
My guess is yours is an American-made "Selmer" stencil (there were plenty of those. It may even say "Selmer New York")? I'm even doubting whether it's gold-plated - you may be able to prove me wrong. [If it has opposing Bell Keys, it's not by Selmer (Paris)].
There's a 1917 Buescher (s/n 33k) on ebay right now that has MOP key touches. We know from this thread and other sources that Buescher-made stencil Saxes of a lot later s/n range often don't have MOP key touches (to save cost).
But yes, there will be an earliest date that MOP key touches first appeared on Saxes somewhere - I just don't recall anyone's research that has suggested who and when. Each maker will have their own different start-date too. Anyone here up for such research? Cheers...

6,554 Posts
My guess is yours is an American-made "Selmer" stencil (there were plenty of those. It may even say "Selmer New York")? I'm even doubting whether it's gold-plated - you may be able to prove me wrong. [If it has opposing Bell Keys, it's not by Selmer (Paris)].
There's a 1917 Buescher (s/n 33k) on ebay right now that has MOP key touches. We know from this thread and other sources that Buescher-made stencil Saxes of a lot later s/n range often don't have MOP key touches (to save cost).
But yes, there will be an earliest date that MOP key touches first appeared on Saxes somewhere - I just don't recall anyone's research that has suggested who and when. Each maker will have their own different start-date too. Anyone here up for such research? Cheers...
Conn but a start.
Font Darkness Screenshot Number

1 - 19 of 19 Posts