Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
2,815 Posts
I wish Glenn Miller had lived and his music died.
Ya know, I honestly have to take serious issue with a comment like this. First off, am I a "fan" of GM's music? Hell yes. I'm a fan, admirer, researcher and performer of his music. There are so many levels of value GM's music attained, it's difficult where to start. First off, let's immediately start with the idea that his music was "corny". Back in the late 30's, his arranging (before he struck it "big" and had a staff of arrangers), varied from average to quite ground breaking for the time. There is no denying the Miller sound of clarinet lead, the mute/plunger work of the brass and the vocal stylings of the Modernaires have become the most recognizable sound to come out of what's known as the Big Band Era.
Let's skip ahead to his Army Air Force Band. With strings and vocal group (The Crew Chiefs), this ensemble was huge.....almost 60 members. His staff of arrangers.......Jerry Gray being the most notable, wrote arrangements that are still studied today.
If you can manage to get over calling the style this music was played as being corny or dated, maybe you would appreciate it a little more. I lead a big band that plays this style of music.....a lot of GM, along with Artie Shaw, Harry James and Tommy Dorsey transcriptions. Trust me, it's NOT easy recreating this music and getting players to perform this music correctly. There are a TON of bands who play this stuff quite badly. When it's performed with the correct articulations, phrasing, vibrato, etc. as the original recordings were, it's some amazing sounding stuff. When it's played by a band who plays the music like a Thad Jones/Mel Lewis or Stan Kenton chart, it sounds like crap.
Would you play a Johnny Hodges song or solo transcription in the style of Dave Sanborn and call it correct? I'd guess not.
Sorry.......you just hit a nerve. :mrgreen:

John

· Banned
2,815 Posts
The best way to describe Artie Shaw is: I love you, I hate you. Now drop dead!

BTW, I like Glenn Miller.......

B
SO true about Shaw. Sorry for the rant above, but it's just frustrating sometimes to see/hear comments like you quoted. Shaw certainly was an "enigma", not to mention one of the most incredible jazz clarinetists to ever steal oxygen! Try playing some transcriptions of his solos sometime. You'll create some new words and expand your vocabulary for sure. :yikes!:

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.