Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, were Otto Links metals and HR models more or less the same internally, or were they designed with different sound concepts in mind?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,695 Posts
I cant say what the intent was but they are geometry different. Ive never been under the impression that they wanted the same thing from the two pieces. They are pretty clearly different concepts from my perspective. They have commonalities but also a significant number of divergent points.

also, some eras were closer than others but to me, still different enough to be considered different designs.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I’m not sure how they could be. I got to go to the factory and saw how they are manufactured.
The Tone Edges are made in a mold and then vulcanized and hand finished. The STMs are made in two halves, then welded together and hand finished. I guess they could get close but I don’t think they want them to be the same thing.
I have to say I have an EB Tone Edge and an EB STM, both 6s, and they have a lot of similar qualities but the STM is definitely brighter with a much more pronounced baffle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,695 Posts
And most metal links have a completely different baffle shape as compared to the hr baffle. One is clamshell, the other a rollover step….most the time.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,763 Posts
I don't remember the exact year that the rubber pieces diverged so much from metal, especially in terms of the baffle design, with the rubber pieces having that scooped out baffle (making them tubby and resistant), but I can remember buying a tenor Link piece in Sam Ash (NYC) around 1993 or so -- it may have been new-old-stock -- and it having a normal, not-scooped-out baffle. That is a huge difference between the metal and rubber recently, a more traditional rollover baffle, similar to but not the same as earlier STMs as far as the metal pieces, and the HR being so vastly different from both the STM and earlier HR in terms of the baffle (as Sigmund451 describes above).

I haven't ordered any stock Otto Link HR in years, since a few years after that change to the HR, because...honestly...there really hasn't been a reason to.

I would imagine the recent "lost wax" editions have gone back to a rollover baffle in the HR editions. I haven't bought any, so I don't know/remember anything from 1st hand experience with these because I have none.

It does appear they went somewhat back to the previous baffle design for the "vintage" HR line -- a quick Google-up hits NeffMusic.com, and the photo there makes me say that:

^ to OP: if you haven't seen that page, and it sounds like you haven't, it probably has a lot more info that you didn't ask, but want.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember the exact year that the rubber pieces diverged so much from metal, especially in terms of the baffle design, with the rubber pieces having that scooped out baffle (making them tubby and resistant), but I can remember buying a tenor Link piece in Sam Ash (NYC) around 1993 or so -- it may have been new-old-stock -- and it having a normal, not-scooped-out baffle. That is a huge difference between the metal and rubber recently, a more traditional rollover baffle, similar to but not the same as earlier STMs as far as the metal pieces, and the HR being so vastly different from both the STM and earlier HR in terms of the baffle (as Sigmund451 describes above).

I haven't ordered any stock Otto Link HR in years, since a few years after that change to the HR, because...honestly...there really hasn't been a reason to.

I would imagine the recent "lost wax" editions have gone back to a rollover baffle in the HR editions. I haven't bought any, so I don't know/remember anything from 1st hand experience with these because I have none.

It does appear they went somewhat back to the previous baffle design for the "vintage" HR line -- a quick Google-up hits NeffMusic.com, and the photo there makes me say that:

^ to OP: if you haven't seen that page, and it sounds like you haven't, it probably has a lot more info that you didn't ask, but want.

I have a couple of the New Vintage Slants and I thought they were pretty bad stock. I have a 6* and a 7*. Both had ridiculous baffles IMO. Not only to large but shaped weird and extremely lop- sided. Both facings were on the short side as well at around a 46. They played and were pretty responsive, but the sound profile was kind of "in your face". Ballsy but no complexity or range. ''

The good thing is the chamber and floor are very good and there is more than enough material in the baffle to shape to your liking. You can turn them into everything between and early slant to a more aggressive early babbit type baffle. I put a different curve on both of mine and completely re-shaped the baffles and I really dig both of these now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts