Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330614879115?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Did I overpay? Feels like maybe I did :( . Going to get it rebuilt later anyway (will make a good loaner sax or backup), but don't really have any experience with the German Bundys.

I love my Couf Superba II Tenor (I know I got a nice deal on that!), and narrowly missed other deals, when I happened to win this one (one more bid would have outbid me, because I bid on this like my Tenor: nothing higher than the min bod amount!).

I paid $202.40 plus shipping. It has one key touch (high E) that needs sourced and soldered on. Most likely pads are shot too. I'll find out when it gets here.

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
That's more than I would pay, but you might be ok. PM me the next time you need a horn. I will find what you need whether I have it and sell it to you or not.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,213 Posts
It's a fair price, top an overhaull and you are in the market price for playable horn. Do you really think it gonna be playable be at $200? for the same total price you maybe have find one in better shape than this one that's it, it doesn't hurt more than this.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Yeah, I've bought some questionable horns myself, but never one missing a key along with the assumption it needs an overhaul. $50. But, if that's the worst you did, then you're fine unless you're planning to flip it. Spend $600 on the overhaul, plus a little time to find an appropriate key, you've got a player for $800. I've made worse deals.

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I figured. I didn't really need the sax, and I let some screaming deals pass by (I was too busy to keep watching them). This one sorta happened. Oh well, like I said, it'll make a good back-up and loaner sax. I can get it re-built for $400 (might be $500 w/the missing keytouch), so I'll still be in it for well under $800.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
yes, great horn for the money and because it would be unusual, probably worth more over there than it is in Europe. They are good players.

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vintage Keilwerth and their stencils don't end up on ebay very often. Even the Bundy Special (one of the "lowest" of the KW stencils) isn't seen very much. Coufs and KW Armstrongs are seen even less, and usually (not always! My Tenor was a sccreamin deal at $850, no work needed. In fact still playing it since buying off of ebay, and it hasn't seen a shop yet!) go for way over $1000 and sometimes $2000 and up!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
if you want to buy them over here....... they are often cheap

·
1,213 Posts
So did you receive it? This can be a real screamer, it's the same as the couf I serie or New King with rolled tone hole. I have a silver new king like this one and it is one of the best sounding alto I have ever play including some sba and early VI . I have pay $500 at this time it was not playable, well not real playing, so I put an overall on it.

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I got it on Friday :) Took it to the tech on Sat, to be brought up to "playable". Amazingly enough, there wasn't a leaky pad on the thing! Sealed tight! All it really NEEDS are some corks, cage screws, and the missing keytouch replaced.

I'll have to find a new altissimo G fingering though ( I'm used to Selmer-like overtones, so I had to ask what G was on my Couf Tenor too. Forum helped me out, now I have it consistently on that :) ). XOX/XOX yields a very clear F# on this sax!

I should still be in this at under $500 total :) .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yep, I got it on Friday :)...
...I should still be in this at under $500 total :) .
These are great horns! I have a mid-60's tenor and even with a miss-matched neck, it has a beautiful tone. I have a Ref 36 neck in the mail for it (the tenon sizes seemed a closer match that the Yamaha custom neck that is currently on it with electrical tape). It needs some work, but it plays through the "pain" like a champ. This is a heck of a horn for the song I got it for. I can't wait to get the neck for it and get it all set up.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
An eBay horn not needing $650 in repairs can make an "uh oh" deal into an "oh yeah" deal.

Unfortunately, it's such a crap shoot.

·
1,213 Posts
it's a steal! lucky. for the G, try: B-G-F with side Bb and octave key for G# same fingering except move to side C . For me it work well.

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's a steal! lucky. for the G, try: B-G-F with side Bb and octave key for G# same fingering except move to side C . For me it work well.
I'll have to try that when I get it back. I told my tech to take his time (I need to save some funds for the repairs anyway), so it could be one month or 6 months.

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the sax back :) . The total in repairs came to $85. It came with the wrong neck (a Bundy II neck instead of KW neck w/matching serial number), but Al had a nice silver plated Phil Barone alto neck knocking around. To our amazement, it actually fit! The mod that had to be done to the neck was shorting the length of the receiver (a sander took care of that nicely!). Now she plays in tune, big and full, and looks good doing it :) . The neck was another $164.

All the keys seal as they should, and it's fun to play, but requires a different setup to play to its full potential. It's quite bright with my Drake Custom .080 piece, and just plain piercing with my .085 Drake Contemporary. My french Vito by contrast, loves the Contemporary, and the Custom plays quite dark and subdued on it.

I find the Vito much easier to control, and to have a far superior design on the LH pinky table, while the KW stencil has a superior stack key layout. One great sax between the two of them.

That said, my french Vito will still be my primary Alto, and the Bundy Special will be my backup/loaner sax.

Total cost in Bundy Special (still needs a better case, The Bundy II case it's in barely holds it):

$250 + shipping and tax.

All-in-all, I don't think it's too bad.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check your math.
Oops! Stupid computer calculator!
Actual total:

$451.50

Still not too bad.
(I didn't think $250 looked right! Doh!).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
No it's not....and I never saw this thread until now...because folks who replied that you had paid too much were being a bit ridiculous. Bundy Specials...occupy the slot of segue from the New King IV to the Coufs.....

ALL old JK's are good...but one can argue that during this particular vintage...they really had in GOING.

Jeez...in great shape these are easily worth $1000, in respect to the quality of a player you get..even if the market doesn't dictate that.

Interesting thing, however, is what the Barone neck did to it...because these aren't 'piercing' or 'bright' horns at all. So, the replacement neck definitely effected the inherent tone of the model......

·
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No it's not....and I never saw this thread until now...because folks who replied that you had paid too much were being a bit ridiculous. Bundy Specials...occupy the slot of segue from the New King IV to the Coufs.....

ALL old JK's are good...but one can argue that during this particular vintage...they really had in GOING.

Jeez...in great shape these are easily worth $1000, in respect to the quality of a player you get..even if the market doesn't dictate that.

Interesting thing, however, is what the Barone neck did to it...because these aren't 'piercing' or 'bright' horns at all. So, the replacement neck definitely effected the inherent tone of the model......
That might be true. Since I have no original neck to compare it to. However, my French Vito is a much larger bore at the neck socket than the Bundy Special (which is actually Selmer size!), and my Couf Tenor has the same neck socket diameter as a French Vito Tenor (both of which are very free-blowing, darker saxes).

I thought that was interesting. Also, my Couf's bell-bow is much larger than any other Tenor I have owned or seen (typical large JK bell-bow) and won't fit in any standard Tenor case. The Bundy Special fits in most standard Alto cases (this includes the Pro Tech case, which actually fits the Bundy Special better than the French Vito, which is a little too loose for comfort (I need a new case).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts