Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Medium LaVoz Tenor Saxophone Reeds some days back and they were delivered two days ago, I believe. Anyway I open the box and I put one on and it feels kinda coarse (as if it needs a slight sanding, which I've never noticed on LaVoz reeds). Also (and I'm going with the nomenclature I just googled http://www.saxophone-players.com/saxreeds.html) the shoulder doesn't look even and the stock is cut off a bit.

Pictures:
Tints and shades Gas Electric blue Lens flare Darkness

Tints and shades Human leg Wrist Font Elbow

Human body Tints and shades Human leg Wrist Darkness

Am I just being too picky? They do feel harder than I imagined since LaVoz meds equal to about a Rico 2.5 and I've been playing Plasticovers size 3. The Plasticovers are old and worn out but I don't think they're that worn out that they should make the LaVoz reeds feel hard.

So what are the effects of those defects? Can I talk to the quality control group and get replacements? Is it even worth it? Can I get a refund. I really have no money to but another 25 dollar box of reeds.

Much appreciated,
Luis R. Robles

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have gotten reeds that look like that first pic. The uneven shoulder is a semi-normal thing...the coarseness happens as well. I prepare all my reeds by pressing down the fibers of the top reed w/ my fingers or round pen/pencil whether they feel coarse or not.

That being said, you can contact Rico and see if they will send you a new box.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Quality Control??? I've been dealing with this problem for years! Not always so obvious, (unsanded, coarse, etc.), but I'm getting tired of spending on reeds that are not consistent. I guess this is universal. I remember the great Vancouver, (Canadian, for that matter), saxophonist, Fraser McPherson, would open a box of reeds on the gig and find maybe two out of ten he liked. The rest were trashed. I think I've solved MY problem by going to Legere, ( a Canadian product, I'm pleased to say). I'm slowly coming to total satisfaction in this department. If the reed I ordered isn't just right, I ship it back and exchange it. It's a long process, ( I've been working at it for half a year or so, but I'm happier than ever with the reed problem. So far, I've got satisfactory results, (FOR ME), with soprano clar., (Bb), bass clar., soprano, alto, tenor and bari sax. All I need to do now is get back-up reeds. It's very gratifying to pick up your horn and blow the same every time with what you want to feel and hear!.

·
Registered
427 Posts
In my experience, using both reeds for many years on both tenor and baritone, a lavoz medium feels the same as a rico 3. All the other variations you mentioned are pretty standard, but I've never seen one that was uneven at the bottom like that. Rico is pretty good about sending out free reeds if you have a complaint, and they'll probably give you a free box.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coarseness doesn't even bother me cause it's easily fixed with whatever. But I feel the uneven shoulder would impact performance a lot. But I don't know. The shoulder is never symmetrical but that's the worst one I've seen. I am now starting to suspect the reason they released plasticovers was to cover up all the imperfections!

@Sandy: I've tried Legere but they sound too buzzy on my Vandoren V16. . . But last time I got a box of LaVoz they all felt perfect and played really well. But it has been some months (it can't have gone downhill that quickly, can it?)

Any other input?

·
Banned
585 Posts
Same thing happened to me recently. Whole box of La Voz tenor....ten duds. All exactly as i op's pics. Totally off...shoulders everywhere. Over one week, i tried to contact Rico. They had this message only system....they get back to you within 48Hrs....did they....NO. Finally i got a top Rico dude on the phone. Rob i think. He was cool, apologised, offered a new box. I thought...US to UK...forget it, and asked him to make a donation to a local charity. Did i ever hear back...No. So Thanks Rob, i hope you see this....what do you say Tim?...a

·
Banned
585 Posts
Luis...thanks man for posting this. The last bit...you cannot afford another box...does that not say it all. These companies dont give a hoot ( Sunday )...for us man. It is all about the moneymoneymoney€$££$€......f*** them...a

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Once I bought a box of La Voz and found 2 or 3 GREAT reeds in it (yes, only 3 in 10, but they were great). I was so excited about finally having found THE reed for me that I ordered another box. Guess what? They were all trash. And that was the beginning and end of my romance with Rico La Voz.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once I bought a box of La Voz and found 2 or 3 GREAT reeds in it (yes, only 3 in 10, but they were great). I was so excited about finally having found THE reed for me that I ordered another box. Guess what? They were all trash. And that was the beginning and end of my romance with Rico La Voz.
That's EXACTLY what I'm going through! I am disappointed. I guess I'll still use the box. The shoulder doesn't seem to be a big deal, as far as i can tell from this thread.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts