Distinguished SOTW Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
rsclosson said:
I just won this Tenor with a BIN:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=200133210754

I studied the pics as best as I could and searched the threads and researched here and on Google as thoroughly as I knew how. I have an excellent tech who is very reasonable so how did I do? Should I have buyers remorse or acquisition anticipation?

thanks
I've heard lots of good things about those Beauginer's. I know there is a member or 2 on here that own this type of horn. I think someone even has a Beaugnier alto in silver plate on this forum currently for sale right now. Check out the marketplace "horns for sale". I'm pretty sure he is asking more than 1K for his so I would have to say that you got a very good deal. Congrats!

·
3,156 Posts
I paid $750 for mine - you do the math. Even if you have to have some work done on the one you won, it should still turn out to be an excellent deal. I'm sold on all my Vito Beaugniers, and my alto is a "Duke" model like the tenor you just won.

Rob

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,474 Posts
you've done very well! I have been trying to get one for 700 Euro (which is almost 1000$) and someone beat me to it. So invest in a good clean up and rehaul and enjoy!

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea what I can expect int terms of sound, etc. when I get it checked out and fully regulated?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
rsclosson said:
Any idea what I can expect int terms of sound, etc. when I get it checked out and fully regulated?
I've got a silly question. Why do people buy a sax off of eBay and then start asking questions? :dontknow:

...and it happens all the time here, so this is a generic question. I just don't understand it.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a silly question. Why do people buy a sax off of eBay and then start asking questions?
Gee! I don't know. I just assumed that discussion and interchange was the purpose of the forum. In my first post I said I did lots of research. I also implied that I was looking for a bit of reinforcement. Pretty much the same as when we get some players together in person and we want to "show off" our latest purchase or acquisition. Maybe it contains a touch of "chest beating" but it is pretty much harmless; often kind of fun.

Interesting that over the time I have been a member of SOTW, there has been a gradually increasing tendency to criticize posts. I thought that this was supposed to be a little "haven" for sax players and afficianados to have some relaxation and even learn a little on the way.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Hey Gary,
It could be that since we are all looking for a good deal, and don't want to be showing what horns were looking at, till after we buy them, and their ours. Just a thought.
From the pictures it looks like it won't need a total repad, those pads looked farily new. I would still take it to the tech, just to be careful. Nice horn though (lucky)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have one of these (and an alto also). I'm well pleased with my Beaugnier tenor. It has a basically dark character to it with a strong focus and core. Mechanically, it has a solid feel to it, no quirks in the keyboard. Since I own one, I've been attentive to others comments on these. So far, I have yet to hear from someone who has been dissappointed in his purchase. Since it tends to be a darker horn, you might want to use one of your brighter pieces on it to bring out the overtones.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Gary,
It could be that since we are all looking for a good deal, and don't want to be showing what horns were looking at, till after we buy them, and their ours. Just a thought.
Good point! With the low BIN price it would have been a possibility that someone else could have jumped all over it. It would not have been unethical or "cheating" to do that. Good deals have a way of evaporating if you are not careful.

This purchase is with the possibility of adding the French element to my fledgling "international" collection of Tenors. I have USA covered (Buescher Big B) and Germany (Keilwerth Bundy Special). All I will need after this is Japan and Italy. (Yes, there are other countries, but I only have so much space.)

I was sort of trying to anticpate what I could expect in comparison to the Tenors I already have.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
rsclosson said:
In my first post I said I did lots of research.
Indeed you did - my bad.

I'm still curious, though. Folks are doing this all the time -without researching like you rs- and then they want to know about all the horn they bought and it just always struck me as strange. And just a wee bit too late. Maybe they get into a bidding frenzy and then have buyer's remorse. At any rate, good luck with the horn. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
It does seem strange. You deffiantly need to do research before buying a horn or any piece of equpiment.
I would have jumped on that horn if I had seen it. Good think you did not post it ;)

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,792 Posts
gary said:
Folks are doing this all the time -without researching like you rs- and then they want to know about all the horn they bought and it just always struck me as strange. And just a wee bit too late. Maybe they get into a bidding frenzy and then have buyer's remorse.
People always ask me about used cars they just bought.

Typical: "I just got a 2004 Hyundai Accent with only 95,000 miles on it for only $10,000!" "Dude, it's worth about $4 or $5,000!" (Not actual numbers, but used to illustrate the point.) Usually, it's the husband or father who contacts me.

I hate telling them the truth about their naiveté, so I pull out a few auction guides. Typically, the people who ask me just made a several thousand dollar mistake and need help to get out of it.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does seem strange. You deffiantly need to do research before buying a horn or any piece of equpiment.
I would have jumped on that horn if I had seen it. Good think you did not post it
And I wouldn't have blamed you in the least if you did. That would have been my bad.

Since it tends to be a darker horn, you might want to use one of your brighter pieces on it to bring out the overtones.
Today 12:44 PM
I have been using an Excalibur 7EL exclusively since I discovered them. Seems to be pretty flexible in sound. I wonder how it will do on this one?

·
14,667 Posts
martysax said:
People always ask me about used cars they just bought.

Typical: "I just got a 2004 Hyundai Accent with only 95,000 miles on it for only $10,000!" "Dude, it's worth about $4 or $5,000!" (Not actual numbers, but used to illustrate the point.) Usually, it's the husband or father who contacts me.

I hate telling them the truth about their naiveté, so I pull out a few auction guides. Typically, the people who ask me just made a several thousand dollar mistake and need help to get out of it.
A few years ago I was looking at buying a car from a private party. I had a dealer look at it and he gave me his trade in value and his resale numbers - it was a slow day and he was bored.

When I went back to the guy who was selling it I told him where I was and what I had been doing. I told him the trade in value and before I got to the resale number he offered it to me at $50 over the trade value! I was going to offer him $250 under the resale number, but I never got to make the offer. I got it for $1500 less than I was prepared to pay for it.

Lesson being, when you are in negotiations, let the other guy finish his thoughts and have time to run numbers in his head before accepting or making offers. I saved my dad a chunk on a Mercedes a month ago by not jumping the gun - or dragging our feet. Do your research and be prepared to pay on the spot or walk away, and be obvious that you are prepared to do either and will lose no sleep over it.

When I sold my house before moving to MN, it was a done deal 30 hours after I had it listed. Do your research and be prepared to do it.

Well done RS.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
rsclosson, I have a Beaugnier made Vito alto with left hand bell keys which I purchased on ebay from a pawn shop in New Mexico. It was bruised during shipping to Denmark due to amateur packaging, so it received a treatment at my repairman. Afterwards he said that in his opinion this horn was at level with a good Conn, but better made.
I am sure that you are going to love the sound of this horn. If not, I would like to buy it. ;)

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I got it today. No mechanical problems and pads look new. It plays down to Bb without a problem. (Gurgle in E for some reason but I am sure it can be adjusted out.) I have learned from experience that even if it plays well, a good tech can often adjust it and make it better. Slight neck pulldown but not too bad. I may experiment with other necks. (Ideas anyone?)

I didn't have my Excalibur 7 EL with me but I played it with a Woodwind Sparkleair I got from Saxquest and thinking about having opened up. Played very open and easy with a nice dark tone. Some roar when I push it. I think it is a keeper.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,821 Posts
gary said:
Indeed you did - my bad.

I'm still curious, though. Folks are doing this all the time -without researching like you rs- and then they want to know about all the horn they bought and it just always struck me as strange. And just a wee bit too late. Maybe they get into a bidding frenzy and then have buyer's remorse. At any rate, good luck with the horn. I hope you enjoy it.
Could be impulse buying too. Or they see something they think is a good deal, jump on it, and then want to confirm that they made an intelligent purchase. I bought two metal Chedeville mouthpieces on eBay a while ago thinking they were unusual and collectible, and then I came here to try to find out if I was right. If I'd asked first some sneaky SOTWer mighta beat me to the punch. ;)

Which reminds me, I've got to see if the seller shipped those mouthpieces yet...

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,821 Posts
Carl H. said:
A few years ago I was looking at buying a car from a private party. I had a dealer look at it and he gave me his trade in value and his resale numbers - it was a slow day and he was bored.

When I went back to the guy who was selling it I told him where I was and what I had been doing. I told him the trade in value and before I got to the resale number he offered it to me at $50 over the trade value! I was going to offer him $250 under the resale number, but I never got to make the offer. I got it for $1500 less than I was prepared to pay for it.

Lesson being, when you are in negotiations, let the other guy finish his thoughts and have time to run numbers in his head before accepting or making offers. I saved my dad a chunk on a Mercedes a month ago by not jumping the gun - or dragging our feet. Do your research and be prepared to pay on the spot or walk away, and be obvious that you are prepared to do either and will lose no sleep over it.

When I sold my house before moving to MN, it was a done deal 30 hours after I had it listed. Do your research and be prepared to do it.

Well done RS.
I read somewhere that when you receive a salary offer for a new job you should count slowly to 10 without giving any verbal or non-verbal response. Apparently in some cases the offerer will think you are displeased and raise the offer before you say a word.

·
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Friday night I finally got to play it with my regular mouthpiece. (Excalibur EL7)
I really love the tone. It doesnt seem to play quite as big as my Bundy Special (close, though) but the tone has in intangible "character" that is not present with my Keilwerth or my Big B. Not darker, but different. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I like it. Also it seems easier to push into "overdrive" than my other horns. It pushes into a roar easier than any horn I have ever played. Still very easy blowing and, with adjustment will probably be very sensitive. It does need regulating and adjustment and I can hardly wait to hear what it will be like after that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts