Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . . . . with lacquer body ??

Anyone know for sure?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Probably not. The opposing bell key horns were before lacquer was used. What is the serial number? It is possible that one was assembled in the 30s with lacquer. Photos?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
doesn’t look like a C melody and the finish has been certainly altered this horn was buffed professionally and at the very least realcquered. the two tone finish is NOT contemporary with the production.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I say it is a tenor. The case is more modern and fits the horn well. Still looks like a decent horn for the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it looks like a c-melody. The SN is in the right range for it. I could be wrong but, look at where the high E key cup is compared to the neck receiver tenon. A tenor would have more space between the two. Also note where the lip of the bell is in reference to the G# touch piece.

King did not put a designation of which horn it was near the SN, but there are tells. Would be nice to see the side showing low B key gard and where it is soldered on.

Regardless, I am guessing out there some where there is a silver plated horn with brass keys on it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have seen King Saxophones with Nickel Plated Keys and Silver Plated bodies. I have an alto in this combination. It is a real odd duck as I think they briefly called their model 1004 a "New Voll-Tone" before settling on "New Voll-True". I have only seen one other like it.

Voll meaning Full makes more sense with Tone. Full Tone vs Full True. This horn has an amazing tone, slightly trumpet like.

You can clearly see the Nickel on the keys vs Silver.

Willy O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts