Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Michael Brecker owned a few tenors but I think I remember in an interview he mentioned that he really only played one horn his entire career. Just curious as that horn took a lot of punishment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the Heavy Metal Be-Bop era, he told me he played his King Super 20. Not sure about the whole tour, but he played it on a few dates with that band. He called it his rock 'n' roll horn!

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
In the Heavy Metal Be-Bop era, he told me he played his King Super 20. Not sure about the whole tour, but he played it on a few dates with that band. He called it his rock 'n' roll horn!
Fake News!
There’s a photo of him in his home studio where it looks like he had a Balanced Action with a Link stuck on it.
We could’ve only hoped.
It seems he had more Mark VI necks than horns. It sounded like Oleg pooched the original neck with some sax geek voodoo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Whaler, not sure if you're calling my Brecker story Fake News or the "same tenor entire career" story as Fake News. When Mike and Randy were touring with Hal Galper, in Montreal I got to hang with Mike most of the week. He swore he played his "King Super 20 Silver Bell" - he called it - with that Bozzio, Finnerty, Jason band.

Best,
Sonny S.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
What does "pooched" mean?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Breckernerds all across the world are laughing at you right now.

"Heavy Metal" Be-Bop?! Talk about an oxymoron. Where did that term come from?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What does "pooched" mean?
apparently this tech in LA thought he was going to enhance the neck, but Brecker hated it from then on...
Apparently done without Brecker's knowledge or consent as well.
Crazy story, but I've heard it from a couple of sources at this point.

·
Registered
917 Posts
"Heavy Metal" Be-Bop?! Talk about an oxymoron. Where did that term come from?

Im old enough, and nerdy enough to still love vinyl ( although my wife tells me it takes up far too much room )

so i have this LP.

He is pictured on it with what looks like a Selmer Mk6.

The heavy metal part ..... im not sure.

rhythmically it was more Rock than Be Bop. Lots of electrics on sax and trumpet.

This track is possibly the best known from the Lp.

listen to some of Breckers well known licks and harmonic devices .....via electronics. really interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0oY_47pwJ8

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
Speaking of laughing, why is Mike wearing shoulder pads and a space helmet on the album cover?

It was a pretty “out there” album for the time. It was one of the first albums where a lot of effects pedals were used on the horns, so he’s supposed to look “space age”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
It was a pretty “out there” album for the time. It was one of the first albums where a lot of effects pedals were used on the horns, so he’s supposed to look “space age”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been a huge fan of that album for ages, but I had it on a Novus Brecker Brothers compilation so I never actually saw the cover photo. Seeing that pic for the first time, I remember thinking it didn’t really do that music justice. Somewhere in the liner notes they had an indirect quote from MB saying he was really trying to play the instrument like it was an electric guitar more than a saxophone ..... you can really hear that on Heavy Metal Bebop. So heavy!

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Hi Whaler, not sure if you're calling my Brecker story Fake News or the "same tenor entire career" story as Fake News. When Mike and Randy were touring with Hal Galper, in Montreal I got to hang with Mike most of the week. He swore he played his "King Super 20 Silver Bell" - he called it - with that Bozzio, Finnerty, Jason band.

Best,
Sonny S.
I was just kidding. He was so great at playing in tune it seems a Super 20 would’ve driven him nuts.
Pooched, screwed, messed up. What idiot would fudge with a Mark VI neck unless it was damaged? Some of theses sax geeks are actually scary in their making up crap they think may possibly work without any basis in science.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,013 Posts
Seeing that pic for the first time, I remember thinking it didn’t really do that music justice. Somewhere in the liner notes they had an indirect quote from MB saying he was really trying to play the instrument like it was an electric guitar more than a saxophone ..... you can really hear that on Heavy Metal Bebop. So heavy!
Thanks. That probably explains it. I still say it's an oxymoron, even if it's the title of a Brecker album. Probably more a marketing ploy than anything else.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think Michael Brecker was always interested in pushing the music forward, doing something new, and reaching beyond the usual jazz audience, and I think that titling an album "Heavy Metal Bebop" (and posing on the cover in weird futuristic costumes) was part of that. They wanted the listener to know that "this is not your father's jazz." We can call that marketing if we like, and certainly part of the idea was that was to appeal to people who weren't part of the usual audience for jazz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
… why is Mike wearing shoulder pads and a space helmet on the album cover?😆
I never noticed until now. Mike is supposed to look futuristic in his space suit, and Randy is wearing retro 1930s (40s?) type clothes. This is meant to go along with the title. Heavy Metal was the future and Bebop was the past.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I never noticed until now. Mike is supposed to look futuristic in his space suit, and Randy is wearing retro 1930s (40s?) type clothes. This is meant to go along with the title. Heavy Metal was the future and Bebop was the past.
And now it's the other way round???? (Just kidding. Judging from current pop music, looks like Gregorian Chant is the future...)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts