Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The last tribute to bird - Dragonbird has been released. Did anyone try that? Can you share your thoughts? A mere reference/series III with different engraving? Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
+1 to Mike F.'s post.

The Ref alto version I tried out sounds/feels the same as my own plain old Ref alto I got before the Great Selmer Price Hike a few years ago.

Maybe it's because I just don't have the Asian connection with the magical dragon engraving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have just bought a Dragonbird Tenor and must say I am very happy with it, they are based on a MKV1,

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I have just bought a Dragonbird Tenor and must say I am very happy with it, they are based on a MKV1,

Steve
Can you explain to me how you figure the Dragonbird is based on a Selmer Mark VI? if that can be proved i would like to hear it. Mark VI tenors in general vary so much that it is hard to pin down let alone a Series III comparison.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I suppose I should say "in the spirit of the MK VI" as stated on the Selmer site.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can you explain to me how you figure the Dragonbird is based on a Selmer Mark VI? if that can be proved i would like to hear it. Mark VI tenors in general vary so much that it is hard to pin down let alone a Series III comparison.
Remember that technically the ENTIRE Reference 54 line is supposed to be based on the "spirit of the Mark VI." Not just the Dragonbird.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,948 Posts
I'm confused - what, in the history of Selmer, is the connection with dragons and birds?

As I recall, the whole Yardbird thing was a "tribute" to Charlie Parker, an iconic alto player that was NOT known for playing Selmers. After that, the whole series went fantasy.

As to Ref 54 having anything to do with a Mk VI - I'd say the Japanese have been making more credible "tributes" to the Mk VI for more years than Selmer. The 54 tenor is just another modern horn. If you want anything from Selmer approximating a "Vintage" sound, try a 36. In altos, yes, the Ref 54 alto is the closest thing they have going at the moment.

Looking for innovation in Selmer clones? Look across the other ocean.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,948 Posts
Yeah, baby!

The Selmer Dragonbird engraving makes my mind cue up some lame soundtrack from a Chinese buffet.

What's next? How 'bout "Hello Kitty" on a bari?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well I thought the Dragonbird was pretty when I saw it in the shop last weekend. Then I saw the thread about the Conn Dragon and... yeah Selmer should just give up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I borrowed my old MKVI alto back from my son - played it on my gig yesterday. It caused me to put my Ref 54 alto in its case and store it. The Ref 54, as nice as it is (sans the dumb BIRD engraving) isn't even CLOSE to my VI.

Like I said above, beware of marketing. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I was trying out some new Selmers yesterday at the Symposium. I just grab the horn and play before I read the model engraving. None of the Selmers really seemed to do it for me except for four of them; all Dragonbirds. A Reference alto and tenor Dragonbird, as well as an alto and tenor III version of the Dragonbird. Seemed really odd too, especially in regard to the Reference Tenor Dragonbird. I played two or three other Reference 54 tenors (and a 36) that I particularly disliked, but that Dragonbird model was a pleasant surprise. Not that I'd buy one...

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
I rarely play a Selmer I like these days, but I did recently check out an alto dragon bird and was extremely impressed. Possibly it was much better set up than your average Selmer as it comes out of the factory or what you get at he trade shows. It compared well with an R & C, which is saying something

1 - 20 of 32 Posts