Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played one chorus accapella in my Bb then the organist joined my in my B and then we jammed on the final chorus in C. She is a great player but I could tell that she prefers to read everything off the page. Any good ideas on a Piano Tenor sax arrangement of something appropriate for church?? I'd prefer something more melodic and spiritual rather than flashy and lots of fast notes. I do that on my gigs, I want to enjoy the church stuff. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Today I played "Great is Thy Faithfullness" with the keyboard player and the bass player as a walk in song. They used the written music and I played lead by ear. We played two verses, one chorus and repeated the ending 3 times. Songs like that are my favorites- I just shut my eyes, envision Jesus on the throne listening and I just start to worship.I was crying as I played it. It doesn't get ANY better than that! Another one we'll be doing in a few weeks is "It is Well With My Soul'- another one of my favorites.A third choice is the "Our Father" song.The old hymns still have that annointing on them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Keith,

Just to be clear, are you looking for a nice arrangement (as stated in your post), or are you seeking advice on "how to channel the holy spirit, forget all notions of musicality and play in tongues?"

I'm sure I've got an arrangement of Amazing Grace around here somewhere, or if I don't, Boot does. Only problem, is that it's a Gospel via lapsed Catholic version, and quite musical, rather than an "evangelical, wriggle your fingers and let Jesus work it out" version. ;)

I'll hunt around and email you when and if I can find it.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
Keith,
Have you tried the last publication from Boots Randolf...'When the Spirit Moves You'? It has a little of both flash and great arrangements of hymns. I got this one shortly after it came out. I think you'd like it.

While you were enjoying Amazing Grace this morning, I was sitting at home with a head cold. What made it worse was the fact that I finally recieved my RPC 110B yesterday in the mail, and I couldn't go enjoy playing it for the first time in our Praise Band.! :cry: I have been a pretty bad boy lately...maybe this is God's way of re-teaching me patience. No, wait a minute. I waited over 8 months for this piece, I think I know a little about patience! :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking written music for both of is is fine. I can always improvize where I want to but she needs it all written out. (and I'm done with AG for awhile) K

·
Registered
36 Posts
Those Good old songs are very anointed!!!

Honeyboy said:
I was crying as I played it. It doesn't get ANY better than that!

I agree with that!!! I think an anointed sax player worshiping through the sax can take the service to a whole new level.

·
Registered
310 Posts
GAS_Wyo said:
Keith,
Have you tried the last publication from Boots Randolf...'When the Spirit Moves You'? It has a little of both flash and great arrangements of hymns. I got this one shortly after it came out. I think you'd like it.
His Christmas Album is great too. I especially like Joy to the World. I'm going to have to pick up that album you mentioned.

I can't find it online... JK! Actually, I'm not kidding. There goes my children's dinner.

·
Registered
73 Posts
GAS_Wyo said:
Keith,
I have this one too and I love it. It has some great songs in it!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts