Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal: there's a bootleg floating around of Dick Oatts at a master class, playing Bird blues in all 12 keys. For me, it's dumbfounding and stunning; to see where you stand, listen to it here right now (takes 2 minutes), then finish this post:

Dick Oatts Master Class demo: Bird blues in 12 keys

Once you've listened to it, you'll either think "Holy Frikkin' Sh*t!!!" or "Eeeeuw! I could NEVER make out to THAT!"

If you're in the "Holy" camp, this sumptuous transcription full of nutritious, life-affirming jazz information is for you! The rest of you should leave to spread your love around...

(Whew: I thought they'd never leave! I think this is just about the coolest ding-dang thing EVAR! Seriously: You could spend months gleaning stuff from this beast and have a blast. Check it out at my jazz blog:

http://harderbop.blogspot.com

You'll find the boot, the transcription, some context for the thing, and some suggestions on how to get started. Let me know what you think!)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Thanks very much for this.

"You're only as good as your weakest key" - there's a phrase to print and hang on the wall of your practice room!

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2017
427 Posts
I am just a small amount blown away by this, I got totally lost try to follow it!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow

For all 12 keys.

Gotta dig the shapes he's laying down, and in each key he's as clear as the last.

·
6,862 Posts
Nah...it's all technique...no soul...cat's not telling a story...what's wrong with the schools these days...:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
"Holy Cow!" to Dick Oatts.
"I could never do that!" to your transcribing. Thanks for the inspiration on both fronts!

·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Gents! This is a brand new transcription -- a lot of the stuff I put on my blog I've had for years, but not this one -- and I'm looking forward to poring over it myself! I *love* Dick Oatts...

(If anybody out there has any info on exactly where and when this master class took place, it'd be great to know, and I'd add that info to the transcription and to the blog...)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Kelly! Great stuff. I've heard Dick do that demonstration several times at different clinics. Amazing every time!!!

I also like the commentary you provide on your blog, and I know what you mean about the mystery of the ghosted notes. I just listened again, slowing it down 50%, and so many of those notes just disappear! Freaky!

·
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also like the commentary you provide on your blog, and I know what you mean about the mystery of the ghosted notes. I just listened again, slowing it down 50%, and so many of those notes just disappear! Freaky!
Indeed! It's the almost intangible stuff like these "magical ghost notes" that makes Oatts a master -- all the stuff that can't really be transcribed!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My favourite bit in that bootleg recording is where he is talking about finishing phrases and he sings the gaps in his solo. Awesome.

·
Registered
Yani S901 soprano, Mark VI alto, Couf Superba I tenor, Yani BW01 baritone. Drake and Morgan mps.
1,026 Posts
This and your website in general is MVP-type material, Kelly - stuff like this is what makes SOTW so useful. Thanks very much for taking the time!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts