Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
It has to be the absolute definition of “ Kitsch”

“ objects, or design considered to be in poor taste because of excessive garishness"

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
It’s an ostentation. All frills plus you get no cap which has to obviously be designed especially for it. Probably another couple hundred, oh wait a minute, I think I can repurpose a Fabrege egg I have laying around.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
...or practical if the casting is a zinc alloy or brass without hardened steel threaded inserts. Tinkerers will enjoy turning all those screws until the threads are stripped.
I believe it's cast from "the finest copper alloy from Italy." Copper, if it's the right alloy, should hold up pretty well. I guess there's something for everyone. Not for me. I like the $3 one I have. It holds the reed down just fine.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So I thought this Forestone reed at a reasonable $42.76 plus $3.00 postage would really work well with a bejeweled encrusted sax and ligature. Now looking for a solid gold 24k thug chain with a hook on it for a neck strap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORESTONE-...73677990013?hash=item3fb87ab87d:rk:4:pf:0&var

I only buy equipment with gig money, keeps the GAS under control and helps validate the purchase ... might take awhile to justify this load.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's so.. er, urban... But I can see an old fat dude wearing shorts and snakeskin cowboy boots with a pink shirt and a bow tie.... ROFLOL

·
Registered
917 Posts
10 cents - I've played a Silverstein and it was pretty nice! hmm, well actually it was very nice plus it fitted a number of MPs. My Francois Louis was a bit of a pain initially but once the wire all conformed to the shape of the MP it's been a treat to use but it's not so great if using on more than one piece in my experience. In this regard, the SS ligature cord binding easily accommodates the shape of the MP regardless of it's contours. I have long considered the best ligatures to be those than enable one to get the reed onto the mouthpiece with the minimum of fuss so I prefer single screw types. The Silverstein was the only ligature I have as yet encountered that had me noticing a positive tonal nuance when used. Then....I gave it away to a gorgeous 15 year old. It now has a good home with a player much better than I heh heh heh ;-)

FYI: SS ligatures must be chosen by size because there is a limit to the minimum and maximum mouthpiece size that any SS ligature will fit. Personally I consider the SS ligatures to be very attractive unlike those gaudy crystal encrusted abominations mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts