Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the piano part that backs a sax quartet and there are some diamond shaped notes for the piano. Can someone explain to me what that means or how it should be performed?
diamond_note.png

I tried search for "how to play diamond notes" and received a lot of matches for how to play the "Rihanna" song and something associated with Guitars about playing harmonics, but nothing that really seemed relevant.

I would appreciate any help. My meager music theory background never really covered diamond notes as far as I remember.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
JoAnn, all that means is to play the chord with whatever voicing you wish for the duration of the "diamond" note......in this case, a fermata.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks. I think that makes sense. There is a tenor sax solo that is filling the fermata so I would guess the piano voice would be relatively simple. I was thinking that's what it was. I'm trying to create a piano backing track, but that diamond threw me.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Hey thanks. I think that makes sense. There is a tenor sax solo that is filling the fermata so I would guess the piano voice would be relatively simple. I was thinking that's what it was. I'm trying to create a piano backing track, but that diamond threw me.
Yup. Makes sense if the tenor has a solo/cadenza there. You just hold on to the chord until he/she turns purple. ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts