Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've decided to get a vocal harmony and effects pedal but I want to be able to trick the machine into thinking that my sax is actually an electric guitar!
The pedal that I'm getting is the TC Helicon Voice Live 3. It works on three levels, one is the vocal level that gives you wonderful harmonies and loads of other amazing effects. The second level is for guitar. Now here lies my issue, I would need one mic that goes into a DI box or preamp, but has two outputs. One would need to be a balanced XLR to the mic input, and the other would go to the guitar input. Is there anything on the market that anyone knows of or could I build a DIY version?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,997 Posts
I have a Digitech Vocalist Live 3 for sax. Can you help me out here by briefly describing how your box works? Mine works by taking input from a guitar or keyboard so it understands the chords being played and adjusts the harmonies according to the pre-sets. Where does your box get the information from? I have a feeling the guitar input is for the same purpose mine is.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I personally would get something like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-502-mixer

Plug your sax mic into the mic input, headphone line out into the guitar input, and the main out for the voice input. You've got a dual XLR/TRS input on your helicon there, so you can use a simple splitter to take the stereo output and put it into a mono input if you really wanted to.

The other option is a submixer like we use for small performances at my school which has 4 mic inputs and mic/trs outputs, but I can't find one anywhere online. As you go up in price you will eventually get to XLR main outs, but you'll have a huge board that you don't need.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly the box has been tucked away for Christmas..... Doh! As far as I'm aware from watching YouTube and reading the manual, it has several ways. One is by plugging the guitar in and telling the pedal to listen to the guitar, the othe is you can plug in an MP3 and it can read that, the third is to tell it to listen to the room through two inbuilt mics and the fourth is to tell it the key that your in.
I think it's a brilliant piece of kit and it worked really well in the demo that I had in the shop.

How does yours measure up?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally would get something like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-502-mixer

Plug your sax mic into the mic input, headphone line out into the guitar input, and the main out for the voice input. You've got a dual XLR/TRS input on your helicon there, so you can use a simple splitter to take the stereo output and put it into a mono input if you really wanted to.

The other option is a submixer like we use for small performances at my school which has 4 mic inputs and mic/trs outputs, but I can't find one anywhere online. As you go up in price you will eventually get to XLR main outs, but you'll have a huge board that you don't need.
Thanks for that really great answer, I've got an Alesis multi mix 8 which I only really use for either home recording or small private gigs and I really don't know how to use it properly. Can you explain in really simple terms (yes I'm a technophobe ??) how I can rig this thing up and which plugs and wires to use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts