Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you guys have seen this, but I found it a month or so back and it's so cool to see Dexter getting to practice before the gig (even though it's for a really short time). This is when he was using the late "Euro" Mark VI with the silver plated keys, and the Florida 8 Super Tone Master.

Dexter loved having the lig so low. :)

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think (I could be wrong) that this is actually from a performance.

There is lots of newer footage with Dexter (on the same gear) from the Bertrand Tavernier movie. Here's one of my favorite clips from that movie:

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah man! I love Dexter during those days too.

I wanted to post some newer stuff as nobody really gets to hear that stuff as much.

Man he was so great.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always thought that Dexter sounded different when he was younger more because he was younger, not the gear.

Near the end, Dexter (although still sounding great) sounded like an old man in comparison.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yeah man! I love Dexter during those days too.

I wanted to post some newer stuff as nobody really gets to hear that stuff as much.

Man he was so great.
Look I saw the mouthpiece debate in another thread and I don't have a horse in that race.

But I related a story on here recently about a friend of mine that was at the legendary Little Mac's repair shop here in Los Angeles.

This was when Dexter went to the Academy Awards and left his horn with "Little Mac" ( who worked on Bird And Trane's horns to name a couple ) instead of leaving the horn in a hotel.

Now Little Mac reluctantly let my friend ( who is a pro who's been on world tours ) look at Dexter's sax and then his mouthpiece.

Inside the mouthpiece was a wedge and Little Mac said " Yeah that's Dexter up to his old tricks. Those guys are always doing something like that."

The point is I think it's funny that some guys have this romantic notion of some guy playing a Florida or whatever Link just like it came from the factory and then the same guys build layers of "knowledge" about the subtleties or vast differences of Links.

We don't know what had been done to any of our favorite players mouthpieces or more importantly what was or was not inside.

We think we know what a mouthpiece is by looking at the exterior. Ridiculous. We could have seen the mouthpiece one day and the player could have put something in it or changed it the next.

All the action is inside which you can never see. I don't care how many videos you look at.

That's as silly as judging a car without looking at the engine.

But I do know my friend saw that wedge in Dexter's mouthpiece .

Coltrane put all kinds of stuff in his mouthpieces. Maybe a lot of those guys did. I don't know.

Back then a Link was just a blank for you to customize the way you wanted it.

Having said all that I'll buy a great Florida Link whenever I get the cash to see what all the fuss is about.

So as I said before I'm not denigrating vintage mouthpieces just trying to give some "literal" insight to reality.

Oh and my friend used to drive Joe Henderson around when Joe came to town for what it's worth.

Now I don't care if some or many of you don't believe what I'm relating here.

Just keep living in your fantasy world thinking " I've got the same mouthpiece as so and so and if it was good enough for him etc..."

All those guys from back in the day would be playing the modern mouthpieces instead of getting a hernia.

Yes living in fantasy can be dangerous for your health!

And don't take this personal Unbalancedaction. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's business. Like I said if I had the money I would buy the right Florida Link today.

Just trying to get you guys to stop and look at reality instead of arguing about how many angels are on the head of a pin.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look I saw the mouthpiece debate in another thread and I don't have a horse in that race.

But I related a story on here recently about a friend of mine that was at the legendary Little Mac's repair shop here in Los Angeles.

This was when Dexter went to the Academy Awards and left his horn with "Little Mac" ( who worked on Bird And Trane's horns to name a couple ) instead of leaving the horn in a hotel.

Now Little Mac reluctantly let my friend ( who is a pro who's been on world tours ) look at Dexter's sax and then his mouthpiece.

Inside the mouthpiece was a wedge and Little Mac said " Yeah that's Dexter up to his old tricks. Those guys are always doing something like that."

The point is I think it's funny that some guys have this romantic notion of some guy playing a Florida or whatever Link just like it came from the factory and then the same guys build layers of "knowledge" about the subtleties or vast differences of Links.

We don't know what had been done to any of our favorite players mouthpieces or more importantly what was or was not inside.

We think we know what a mouthpiece is by looking at the exterior. Ridiculous. We could have seen the mouthpiece one day and the player could have put something in it or changed it the next.

All the action is inside which you can never see. I don't care how many videos you look at.

That's as silly as judging a car without looking at the engine.

But I do know my friend saw that wedge in Dexter's mouthpiece .

Coltrane put all kinds of stuff in his mouthpieces. Maybe a lot of those guys did. I don't know.

Back then a Link was just a blank for you to customize the way you wanted it.

Having said all that I'll buy a great Florida Link whenever I get the cash to see what all the fuss is about.

So as I said before I'm not denigrating vintage mouthpieces just trying to give some "literal" insight to reality.

Oh and my friend used to drive Joe Henderson around when Joe came to town for what it's worth.

Now I don't care if some or many of you don't believe what I'm relating here.

Just keep living in your fantasy world thinking " I've got the same mouthpiece as so and so and if it was good enough for him etc..."

All those guys from back in the day would be playing the modern mouthpieces instead of getting a hernia.

Yes living in fantasy can be dangerous for your health!

And don't take this personal Unbalancedaction. I'm not trying to ruin anyone's business. Like I said if I had the money I would buy the right Florida Link today.

Just trying to get you guys to stop and look at reality instead of arguing about how many angels are on the head of a pin.
What a story man!!! Wow!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm posting these videos to just share what I'm into with the community. Will Vinson plays a new horn with a new mouthpiece (I posted a great video of him w/ Ari Hoenigs band) and he sounds fantastic, it's the player not the equipment. I think people look for vintage mouthpieces because the work was way better (you get a better mouthpiece), and because all of their heroes played on them. That's really what the collector market is about, and it gets really crazy. In contrast to what I was posting, I hear more people saying that Dexter's sound was better on the 10m and Dukoff, but I think it's just because he was just younger and full of energy. Don't forget, I wrote the following not to long before your post.

Here's the secret - you will sound amazing on whatever you play once you've put the time in.

Charlie Parker is a prime example of that!!!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
In contrast to what I was posting, I hear more people saying that Dexter's sound was better on the 10m and Dukoff, but I think it's just because he was just younger and full of energy. Don't forget, I wrote the following not to long before your post. Here's the secret - you will sound amazing on whatever you play once you've put the time in.

Charlie Parker is a prime example of that!!!
I can understand why they say that. The Dukoff and 10M is definitely a different sound than later.

Hey maybe you can answer a question.

What was Sonny Stitt playing on his composition " Loose Walk" which later became "Blues Walk"?

And on "Con Alma" with Diz ?

I think Stitt had one of best tenor sounds although many know him for his " Bird like " alto.

Now since we are talking Dexter dig this above. Looks like a Link and a Mark Vl. Not going to say the earlier sound was better just different.

He's certainly telling a story! A more mature Dexter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts