Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would just like to know what this is exactly?

-Birdman

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
A bell that detaches.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gandalfe said:
A detachable bell makes it easier to do some kinds of repairs on a saxophone. It has nothing to do with playability or sound production.
ok, thanks.

-Birdman

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
I haven't really seen one that can come off without a screwdriver at least. It would be interesting to see one come off by some sort of ligature screw to put in the case. It would make it easier to travel with (by having a smaller case). But then again, would that make the sound of that sax differentiate), depending on how you attached it?
....something to think about.

·
4,147 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
I haven't really seen one that can come off without a screwdriver at least. It would be interesting to see one come off by some sort of ligature screw to put in the case. It would make it easier to travel with (by having a smaller case). But then again, would that make the sound of that sax differentiate), depending on how you attached it?
....something to think about.
Adjusting it so that the bell keys sit perfect could be a pain. Plus, the potention for leaks would develop.

·
14,436 Posts
Noted repair tech and trad-jazz saxophonist-whiz Paul Woltz once worked on my MKVI alto. He found the bell was out of alignment with the rest of the horn, which obviously caused problems with the bell pads. He moved the bell back into place and the horn played great.

Thus, I agree with the thought that having a removable bell would be problematic. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Always seal the joint between the body and the bell, not only to make it airtight but to prevent water leaking from the joint as well. On older saxes such as SBA and MkVI the clamp screws will rust if this joint is not sealed and water leaks out and under the ring clamp (and can damage the lacquer too).

Use either wax or silicone sealer.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
Most saxes today have removeable bells. Some use a rubber O ring between the two joints to make a seal. Some techs use a sealant when attaching the metal ring to make sure there is a seal.

older Keilwerths do not have removeable bells ( i can't recall if new ones have it or not). They also don't have that gigantic, thick clamp either. Some techs solder the two joints together too.

if the bell was detachable to put in the case wouldn't it take up more room? another compartment just for the bell, separated from the rest of the body and keywork ?? I think the case would be bigger total dimension-wise.

it certainly makes it easier taking dents out of horns in certain areas when you can take the bell off

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Not only is it easier to do dent removal on, it's much easier to repad the main action and regulate it while the bell is off. Then put the bell back on and pad the bell keys once the bell is on securely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
stevesklar said:
older Keilwerths do not have removeable bells ( i can't recall if new ones have it or not). They also don't have that gigantic, thick clamp either.
Yeah, I watched my tech straighten the slightly crooked bell on my Bundy Special alto. After warning me that I might not want to watch, he put the bell against his bench and pushed his hip against the sax until it was straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts