Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to phrase the question "what is like a Jumbo Java on soprano" but armed with some proper terminology via theowanne.com I am now asking your help to: list modern mouthpieces in this thread that have a true step baffle proportioned close to the Jumbo Java. I'll try them out one by one; I'm that desperate.

The Jumbo Java has the same general baffle proportions on alto and tenor and has been my favorite unchanging mouthpiece on both of those for almost a decade now. Essentially, it has a step baffle where the floor very slightly slopes straight from the tip rail to just over half the length of the window before dropping and contouring perfectly into the chamber and bore.

The Rico Metallite misses the mark because it's scooped down at the tip rail and goes 3/4 across the window at a much steeper slope until it meets hard edges. I'm scared to try Dukoff because of the horror stories of how soft the metal is (biting off the tip for starters). Otto Link metal seems to narrow the chamber from the sides rather than a proper baffle and too easily loses control when I develop any embouchure strength at all. Low/no-baffle pieces make me feel claustrophobic like I'm playing with my fingers in my ears. And on and on, a different moan and groan for each mouthpiece I try out even after it fools me with a month of eureka.

I hate having to be this specific but no other metric is working, and most catalogues and websites proudly (and uselessly) display their mouthpieces with the bite plate facing the camera, so I have no choice but to nag someone. I have a formula that I know works for me in sound and playability, I just don't have the easy ability to check it against every soprano mouthpiece in existance. I need your help badly. As long as there's a trial period, cost is no object to me right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dukoff sopranos – even the D – don't really have the step baffle like the A/T/B versions of the Dukoff D. The Dukoff soprano baffle also segues into more of a bullet-shaped chamber than the straight transition between the baffle and chamber of the Jumbo Java... so according to your criteria, the Dukoff should already be eliminated without even considering the softness of the metal.

Other than the Metalite, I don't think I've ever seen/heard of a soprano mouthpiece like the one you would like to have (high-ish step baffle, smooth baffle-chamber transition). Everything I can think of either has a bullet chamber or doesn't have the Jumbo Java-esque step baffle. If I were you, I'd find a mouthpiece with a good straight-ish baffle and then make my own step baffle with dental wax or epoxy or something. It's what I did with my straight-baffle Rovner alto and it works fabulously.

If you're willing to loosen the criteria a bit, I highly recommend trying the Brancher B-chamber, or an ARB metal (if you can find one). I suppose the ARB would most closely resemble what you're describing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dukoff sopranos – even the D – don't really have the step baffle like the A/T/B versions of the Dukoff D. The Dukoff soprano baffle also segues into more of a bullet-shaped chamber than the straight transition between the baffle and chamber of the Jumbo Java... so according to your criteria, the Dukoff should already be eliminated without even considering the softness of the metal.

Other than the Metalite, I don't think I've ever seen/heard of a soprano mouthpiece like the one you would like to have (high-ish step baffle, smooth baffle-chamber transition). Everything I can think of either has a bullet chamber or doesn't have the Jumbo Java-esque step baffle. If I were you, I'd find a mouthpiece with a good straight-ish baffle and then make my own step baffle with dental wax or epoxy or something. It's what I did with my straight-baffle Rovner alto and it works fabulously.

If you're willing to loosen the criteria a bit, I highly recommend trying the Brancher B-chamber, or an ARB metal (if you can find one). I suppose the ARB would most closely resemble what you're describing.
Thanks for your reply. As far as epoxy, I'd be sure to screw that up, and would dental wax last long? Also, is ARB metal out of production? And suppose I sacrifice the smooth baffle-chamber transition... what out there has the JJ-esque step baffle?

·
Registered
258 Posts
ARB metals are still being made... or at least the alto/tenor/bari ones are, to my knowledge. I'm not sure about soprano ones.

Regarding the epoxy baffle: I have the same qualms that prevent me from doing something permanent like that to my mouthpieces, which is why I use dental wax. I've had the wax baffle in my alto mouthpiece for about 6 months now and it still looks and plays the same as when I first put it in. And if it does disintegrate or whatever, the wax is very easy to remove cleanly. It's also quick and easy to replace. My mouthpiece also has a nice minty fresh scent (local stores only carried mint-scented wax). This would be my first choice.

It's not technically the same, but if memory serves me correctly, either the handmade or LT Guardala Branford Marsalis model had a kind of step baffle... but the cost of a handmade one is kind of a downer. I believe Barkley makes a soprano mouthpiece with a step baffle like the JJ.

I may have missed it, but what mouthpiece are you currently playing on?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can try first with play dooh. There's a 2 piece of hard kind of glue that can softened with water and can give you a reasonable drying time. Once dry you can sand it, shape it and paint it if wanted.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
ponzel custom has one if you can find one but metalite is what you want -trust me as a long time rock and roll sop player

·
Registered
836 Posts
I had a similar desire to have a Bari piece that was designed like a Jumbo Java. I sent an alto piece (as a model) to a mouthpiece maker that I like, and he made me a "custom" Jumbo Java Bari piece with a JB Weld baffle. I use it for Salsa gigs where I have to use the same microphone for alto and baritone. The baritone projects every bit as much as the alto now.

·
1,596 Posts
I suggest you talk to Joe Giardullo of Soprano Planet http://www.sopranoplanet.com/index.htm He is a true soprano expert and will help you make a mouthpiece that you'll truly love, and If you don't love it he'll work with you until you love it.

·
1,243 Posts
Try a Runyon Custom or a JodyJazz Classic both with the removable wedge/baffle. I got a Runyon Custom 8, I don't use the wedge because it has so much power and edge without that i don't need it. I refaced it because the facing was uneven and the tip did not fit the reed. Buy a JJ and you don't have this problem.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm starting off with Ponzol Custom delrin, arriving in the next day or two. You'd laugh to hear how I got my baritone where I wanted it... a spoiler inside a Berg metal 105/0. Right now on soprano I use the Super Session G. It holds the line but doesn't excite me. The Guardala LT looks like it might have a chance.

·
2,960 Posts
good choice. i have trouble getting up to pitch on some sops with metalite. i cut off some of the shank to fix this

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I shortened a sop Metalite years ago. It fixed all the notes being flat but I found I could not get the octaves in tune. I pretty much have this problem on all sop MPs that do not have a squeezed throat design.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I shortened a sop Metalite years ago. It fixed all the notes being flat but I found I could not get the octaves in tune. I pretty much have this problem on all sop MPs that do not have a squeezed throat design.
I push it in all the way and pull it out to a place where everything seems tolerably in tune, and then suddenly we have low B warbling. It's like I can't win with the Metalite, and I wonder what more people know about it that haven't said anything.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems the Optimum ligature was causing the warbling, I ditched it then I got the Metalite to play fine except it produced a distorted sound rather than a mere pitch change whenever bending notes. The Ponzol Custom seemed great at first but turned out more muffled than the SS. So I'll just have to stick with the SS. :-/

·
Registered
258 Posts
Seems the Optimum ligature was causing the warbling, I ditched it then I got the Metalite to play fine except it produced a distorted sound rather than a mere pitch change whenever bending notes. The Ponzol Custom seemed great at first but turned out more muffled than the SS. So I'll just have to stick with the SS. :-/
Actually, the SS would be a great candidate for putting your own step baffle in it. Couldn't hurt to try!

·
2,960 Posts
my older hard rubber ponzel custom is anything but stuffy. only my dukoff is brighter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts